[NFBOK-Talk] United States Senate Greenlights Marrakesh Treaty and Implementing Legislation

Jeanie Massay jeannie.massay at nfbok.org
Fri Jun 29 15:44:22 UTC 2018

Federationists,

Please see exciting news below that will change the lives of blind people
across the country!

Have a wonderful weekend and dream of the books that we will absolutely have
access to in the not too distant future!

Warmly,

Jeannie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Release Date:

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Category:

National

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

United States Senate Greenlights Marrakesh Treaty and Implementing
Legislation

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Senate Vote

Washington, DC (June 28, 2018): The United States Senate today provided its
advice and consent for ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate
Access to Published Works for Persons Who are Blind, Visually Impaired, or
Otherwise Print Disabled. The chamber also approved the treaty's
implementing legislation (S. 2559), which will make modest adjustments to US
copyright law to fully comply with the treaty.

"For more than six years, the National Federation of the Blind has worked
tirelessly toward this historic day for the blind of America and the world,"
said Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind.
"We applaud the United States Senate for providing its advice and consent
for ratification of the treaty, as well as for passing S. 2559, the
'Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act'. We urge the US House of
Representatives to join their Senate colleagues in swiftly passing S. 2559,
so that the door to expanded literacy and access to the world's knowledge
will be unlocked for millions of blind Americans."

###

blindness is not what holds you back.