[NFBOK-Talk] Federal legislative action alert

Leah Campbell scottish_lass at outlook.com
Mon Mar 6 03:08:55 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Your assistance is requested.

On Friday, John Pare send out a legislative alert.  In it he said that three of our legislative priorities were introduced in Congress this week! They are:

  *   Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act in the House H.R. 1328, introduced by Representative Jan Schakowsky with 32 originating cosponsors.
  *   Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act in the House H.R. 1263, introduced by Representatives Bobby Scott and Cathy McMorris Rodgers.
  *   Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act in the Senate S. 533, introduced by Senators Bob Casey and Steve Danes.

We hope to have news on the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act, the Blind Americans Return to Work Act, and the Access Technology Affordability Act in the very near future. In the meantime, we want to build cosponsor support on each of these three bills especially the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. John Pare stressed this bill because with 32 originating cosponsors we are already well on our way to moving this bill forward.

So, please urge your Representative to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act, H.R. 1328 and the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act, H.R. 1263. Also, please urge both of our Senators to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act, S. 533.

When you call or email your representative, you might say the following (feel free to copy, paste, and edit the below text):

Hello [staffers name],

My name is [YOUR NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE] and I am a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE NAME].

I would like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328)<https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/1328?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22hr1328%22%5D%7D&s=3&r=1>. This legislation authorizes the FDA to establish a minimum nonvisual access standard for Class II and Class III medical devices so that blind people can operate them safely and independently.

I would also like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 1263)<https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/1263?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22hr1263%22%5D%7D&s=4&r=1>. This legislation would gradually phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act and eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to people with disabilities.

I want to thank [representative name] for considering supporting these issues.

Respectfully,

[Your name]

When you call or email our senators, you might say the following (feel free to copy, paste, and edit the below text):

Hello [staffers name],

My name is [YOUR NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE] and I am a constituent of [SENATOR NAME].

I would like to urge [SENATOR NAME] to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (S. 533)<https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/533?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22s+533%22%5D%7D&s=1&r=1>. This legislation would gradually phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act and eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to people with disabilities.

I want to thank [Senator name] for considering supporting this issue.

Respectfully,

[Your name]

If you are unsure who your representative is and which congressional district you live in, you can go here to find your representative<https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative>. For your convenience, if you prefer to call your member of Congress, I have included their office number in the attached spreadsheet . If you prefer to email your member of Congress, I have included a list of the legislative staffers to contact along with their email addresses in both the House and Senate in the spreadsheet as well. If you email your representative, please copy Justin Young at jyoung at nfb.org<mailto:jyoung at nfb.org>.

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to reach out to me, scottish_lass at outlook.com<mailto:scottish_lass at outlook.com>  Your calls and emails do make a difference.

Thank you all for your assistance and taking action.

Appreciatively,

Leah

Leah Campbell
Legislative Director