[NFBP-BlindParents] Announcing the 2022 National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania State Convention

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 19:42:36 UTC 2022

National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania 2022 STATE CONVENTION

Thursday, November 10 through Sunday, November 13, 2022

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania State Convention is the
largest gathering of blind people in the state. It is the premier event for
training, support, and information for the blind community. It also serves
as a governing body, democratically electing our leadership and establishing
each year's organizational priorities.

Register and make a difference in the lives of blind Pennsylvanians!

The 2022 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
Pennsylvania will be held at:
Sheraton Station Square
300 W. Station Square Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Please note that we will be live streaming portions of the convention that
will be recorded for archival purposes on the website.

Note: The agenda will be finalized, distributed, and posted on the state
website in mid to late October. Yes, the agenda will be available on
NEWSLINER too!

Here is your chance to participate and learn more about the NFB's programs
and goals on the state and national level. Hear from the NFB national
representative. Also, hear from speakers on topics of national and state
importance, membership, seniors, technology, Braille, students, guide dog
users, merchants, deafblind, and parents' concerns, meet the scholarship
class of 2022 and much more!

We are proud to announce that Karl Smith, the chair of the board of
directors for the Louisiana Center for the Blind, will be serving as our
national rep this year.

Mark your calendars and make every effort to attend the 2022 State
Convention of the NFB of Pennsylvania. Get involved. Make a difference!
Please share with others, everyone is welcome!

Room Reservations

The Sheraton Station Square is now accepting room reservations for the State
Convention. To make your reservation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, please
dial 412-261-2000 and state that you are attending the NFB of Pennsylvania
State Convention. The best time to call is during regular business hours,
9:00 am to 6:00 pm. The 2022 room rate is $119 a night. Hotel room rates are
subject to applicable state and local taxes, which at present is 7% and will
be in effect at the time of check-out.

For those considering arriving early, there is a limited number of available
guest rooms as another group will be occupying most of the hotel on
Wednesday, November 9. Don't hesitate, please make your room reservations as
soon as possible. Our block of rooms are available until Wednesday, October
19, and any remaining rooms will become available to the general public. You
will need a credit card to secure your reservation, There will be no charge
to your card until you arrive at the hotel. In addition, there are a limited
number of wheelchair accessible rooms and if needed, make it known when you
are making your room reservation.

Note: if you can not attend and you have made hotel reservations, don't call
the hotel to cancel. Please call Lynn Heitz at 215-988-0888. Lynn usually
has a waiting list to review as many learn about the State Convention after
Wednesday, October 19.

Convention Preview

Thursday Events:

*	Exhibit Hall
*	Senior Possibilities Fair
*	Technology Seminars
*	Celebration of Veterans

Friday Events:

*	Exhibit Hall
*	Meetings of Blind Students, Parents of Blind Children, Blind
Parents, DeafBlind/Hearing-Impaired, and Guide Dog Users.
*	Resolutions Committee Meeting
*	State Board Meeting
*	Talent Show and Live Auction

Saturday Events:

*	Report from the National Representative (TBD)
*	Interesting speakers, presentations, and panels
*	Banquet Saturday Evening

Sunday Events:

*	Chapter Sharing Breakfast
*	State Business Meeting
*	Adjourn at Noon

Online Registration

 <http://nfbp.org/convention/reg> Online Registration is now open for the
2022 NFB of Pennsylvania State Convention. Registration with the convention
is required in order to be eligible for our discounted room rates at the
hotel. Sponsor our event, sign up to be an exhibitor, register for
professional technology training, purchase your convention meals, and
register people for door prizes all through the online convention
registration form.

Please note that the reduced convention registration rate of $15 per person
will only be available till September 30. Starting on October 1, the cost to
register for the convention will increase to $25 per person. The
registration cost for professionals attending only the Technology Seminar on
Thursday, November 10, to obtain their continuing education credits will be
at $35 per person both before and after September 30.

VETERANS CELEBRATION REGISTRATION:

On the evening of Thursday, November 10, we will be holding a Veterans
Celebration. During this event, we will be recognizing our vets and military
service members, or their family members. If you are a veteran or a military
service member, or a family member of a veteran or military service member,
and wish to have the opportunity to be recognized during this event, please
complete the registration form at
<http://www.nfbp.org/convention/veterans-celebration-registration>
www.nfbp.org/convention/veterans-celebration-registration. The deadline for
submissions is October 1. Please note that first preference of those being
recognized for this event will go to veterans and military service members,
or their family members, residing in Pennsylvania.

SPONSORS & EXHIBITORS:

For those wishing to be a sponsor of this year's convention, payments for
the following must be received no later than October 1 either via check or
via the  <http://nfbp.org/convention/reg> online registration form:

Accessibility For All $2000

*	Exhibit Hall Table (Thursday and Friday)
*	Six (6) Convention registrations for representatives to attend
*	Six (6) Banquet tickets (Saturday evening)

Braille Literacy $1500

*	Exhibit Hall Table (Thursday and Friday)
*	Four (4) Convention registrations
*	Four (4) Banquet tickets (Saturday evening)

Cane Travel $1000

*	Exhibit Hall Table (Thursday and Friday)
*	Two (2) Convention registrations
*	Two (2) Banquet tickets (Saturday evening)

Daily Living Skills $500

*	Exhibit Hall Table (Thursday and Friday)
*	One (1) Convention Registration
*	One (1) Banquet ticket (Saturday evening)

The vendor room will be open during the following days and times:

*	Thursday, November 10: 11:00am - 5:00pm
*	Friday, November 11: 9:00am - 3:00pm

For those registering as an exhibitor for this year's convention, payment
for the following prices must be received no later than October 1 either via
check or via the  <http://nfbp.org/convention/reg> online registration form:

*	Both days (Thursday, November 10, and Friday, November 11): $150
*	Single Day (Thursday, November 10, or Friday, November 11): $100

 <https://www.nfb.org/code-conduct> Code of Conduct

As an attendee at our convention, you not only represent yourself but also
represent our greater organization. We want you to enjoy our time together
and to make new friends and renew old acquaintances. Although we encourage
members to socialize and have fun, the convention also provides a valuable
opportunity to come together to continue the work of our organization, to
learn about the important initiatives that we are involved with on local and
national levels, and to plan our work for the future.

The National Federation of the Blind seeks to provide a convention
environment in which diverse participants, including members, speakers,
exhibitors, staff, and volunteers, may learn, network, and enjoy the company
of friends and colleagues in an environment of mutual respect and
professionalism. We recognize a shared responsibility to create and uphold
that atmosphere for the benefit of all. Some behaviors are therefore
specifically prohibited:

*	harassment or intimidation based on race, religion, ethnicity,
language, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
disability, physical appearance, or other group identity
*	sexual harassment or intimidation, including unwelcome sexual
attention, stalking (physical or virtual), or unsolicited physical contact
*	public drunkenness and associated behaviors (e.g., belligerence,
yelling, hostility, destruction of property)

Participants are expected to abide by these rules and behaviors in all
convention venues, including online arenas, social media, and social events.
Participants who are asked to stop a behavior that the recipient considers
hostile or harassing are expected to comply immediately. We are committed to
diversity, equity, and the free expression of ideas. Please visit
<https://www.nfb.org/code-conduct> https://nfb.org/code-conduct for more
information.

Audio from Past Conventions

Please visit our  <http://www.nfbp.org/convention/past-conventions> Past
Conventions page to access audio highlights from previous State Conventions.

Additional Information

Additional information will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
Please check back often.

If you have any questions, please contact one of the following people:

Joseph Drenth, Convention Chair
Phone: 215-827-7787
Email:  <mailto:convention at nfbp.org> convention at nfbp.org

Lynn Heitz, NFB of Pennsylvania President
Phone: 215-988-0888
Email:  <mailto:president at nfbp.org> president at nfbp.org