[NFBP-Jigsaw] FW: [NFBP-Talk] CALL TO ACTION - Title II exemptions for Accessibility

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:27:28 UTC 2023

From: NFBP-Talk <nfbp-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Emily Gindlesperger via NFBP-Talk
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 11:23 AM
To: Nfbp-talk <Nfbp-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Emily Gindlesperger <skewbdobdo at verizon.net>
Subject: [NFBP-Talk] CALL TO ACTION - Title II exemptions for Accessibility

Good morning all,

Recently, the Federal Department of Justice issues a Notice stating that they would like to clarify Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act with regards to accessibility of websites and apps.

This rule change is contradictory to our advocacy efforts, and would undermine everything that the NFB has worked for.

In this, they are proposing 7 exceptions for compliance, as well as population exceptions - as if disability is location related.

There are 2 of the exceptions are directly affronting us and our accessibility to public education.

We have until October 3, 2023 to submit our opposition and concerns.  I know this document is tedious in some respects, but this will greatly impact all of us negatively if it is allows to go uncontested.

There are numbered questions as well that you can answer.

I urge all of you to read this document and submit.  The National Office has stated they will be doing so, and Michael Gamel-McCorkmick from Senator Casey’s office urges us to do as well.

The DOJ did this without discussion, and we cannot allow it to move forward.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at vp2 at nfbp.org <mailto:vp2 at nfbp.org> .  I can try and explain better what is happening as well as give guidance for documents; however, each of our individual stories are what will make the difference.

 <https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/08/04/2023-15823/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-accessibility-of-web-information-and-services-of-state> Request Access

 <https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/08/04/2023-15823/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-accessibility-of-web-information-and-services-of-state> federalregister.gov

 <https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/08/04/2023-15823/nondiscrimination-on-the-basis-of-disability-accessibility-of-web-information-and-services-of-state>

Thank you

Emily Gindlesperger

 2nd Vice President

Legislative Chair

National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

Please note that any or all of this message may have been created using speech to text technology.  Do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification.