[NFBP-Talk] Need some light reading?

buddy at brannan.name buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jun 30 04:17:45 UTC 2020

                Howdy,

I just found out about this last week, and I learned I wasn't the only one
ho didn't know about it.

As many of you probably know, Bookshare is a service that provides access to
close to a million titles for education and pleasure reading, in every
imaginable genre, textbooks, professional development, bestsellers, what
have thou. And you can join for $50 per year and have access to DAISY text,
audio produced with synthetic speech, or braille files. I'm sure many of you
also knew that students in the US can get Bookshare for free. (Students
taking Hadley courses count.)

But if you're a library patron with either the Philadelphia NLS branchor the
Pittsburgh one at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, and if you're in PA
you're affiliated with one of them, did you know you can get Bookshare for
free? Yeah, I didn't either, until someone last week told me about it. To my
shame, she didn't even live here.

Here's the information about how to get this benefit:

>From https://www.bookshare.org/cms/bookshare-and-Pennsylvania-libraries

Bookshare and the Pennsylvania Libraries

Are you a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh or Free Library of Philadelphia
patron with a print disability? Are you looking for the hottest bestsellers,
new releases, or job search and career advancement books?

Through an exciting partnership, library patrons with qualified print
disabilities can join Bookshare for FREE!

Why join Bookshare?

. Free access to 890,891 titles, including bestsellers, fiction, nonfiction,
literature, career books and more!

. Read books in high quality audio, large print, and digital braille

. Read on computers, tablets, smartphones, assistive technology device, MP3
players

. Get free Bookshare reading tools and fee-based reading tools from partners

. Free training and support

Watch this video to learn more about Bookshare.

How to sign up

Start by making sure you qualify for Bookshare. Then, follow these steps:

1. Sign up for an Individual Membership

2. Complete the online registration form and use promo code: PALBPH

3. Submit Proof of Disability

If you are an existing member with Bookshare, simply send an email to promo
[at] bookshare.org with the promo code PALBPH and we will extend your
subscription for free under this new agreement!