[NFBP-Talk] Deadline Approaching for Requesting a Mail-In Ballot for the Primary Election

Joseph Drenth joe.drenth at gmail.com
Sun May 24 23:51:55 UTC 2020

>From NFB of Pennsylvania President Lynn Heitz:

On May 21, NFB-PA sued the Commonwealth in order to force it to make mail-in
or absentee ballots accessible to blind voters.  Currently, such ballots
only come in paper form and must be marked by hand-a clear violation of
federal laws.  The COVID-19 crisis has escalated all of our concerns.

Our lawsuit has forced the Commonwealth to come to the negotiating table.
Although the talks are ongoing, it is unclear whether we can get to a
solution by the upcoming June 2 primary.  Just in case, however, we want to
remind you that the deadline for applying for either a mail-in or absentee
ballot is Tuesday, May 26 at 5 p.m. You can submit your online application
for these ballots
<https://www.votespa.com/Voting-in-PA/Pages/Mail-and-Absentee-Ballot.aspx>
here.

Blind voters should be able to vote by absentee or mail-in ballot privately
and independently-just like everyone else.  We cannot promise that this will
be possible but we wanted to alert you to the deadline.  We are working hard
to ensure accessible voting in Pennsylvania.  We will keep you updated!

Sincerely,

Lynn Heitz

Joseph Drenth

First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Rehabilitation

Senior R&D Software Engineer, JBT Corporation, Automated Systems Division

Cell: 215-827-7787

Email: joe.drenth at gmail.com