[NFBP-Talk] November 2021: NFBP Board Meeting Minutes

Harriet Go goharriet00 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 06:25:32 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,
Happy New Year!!
Please see below for the board meeting minutes from November 12, 2021. Please let me know if corrections are needed.

Thanks, and talk to you all soon!
Harriet

National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania
Board of Directors Meeting
November 12, 2021, Start time 4:05 p.m.

Those in Attendance,
Lynn Heitz, President
Joe Drenth, 1st Vice President
Emily Gindlesperger, 2nd Vice President
Brian Mackey, Treasurer
Directors: Simon Bonenfant, Denice Brown, Kirk Hunger, Michelle McManus, Jason Polansky, Connie Scheu
Those not in attendance:
Harriet Go, Secretary

The secretary’s report for September 11, 2021 was not read. Brian made a motion to suspended with the reading of the minutes until the January 2022 board meeting. Joe seconded it.

Treasurer’s Report: Our total affiliate treasury as of October 31, 2021 is $243,112.28. Joe made the motion to accept the report.

House Keeping: Joe gave some information regarding the location of the guide dog relief area in the hotel. He also noted that hotel guest rooms will be serviced daily with fresh linens.

Welcome: Jason Polansky, president of the Capitol Chapter in Harrisburg gave a few welcome remarks.

National Representative: Our National Rep this year was Shawn Callaway. Shawn serves on the national board of directors as well as is the president of the NFB of the District of Columbia. Shawn remarked on how impressed he was with the PA affiliate and all of the things that he is seeing and learning. He is very happy to be our National Representative this year.

Sponsors: Lynn acknowledged our 4 Bronze sponsors at this convention this year. They are Democracy Live, the Library for Accessible Media in Pennsylvania (LAMP), Sky’s the Limit, LLC, and Vanda Pharmaceuticals. At the exhibit hall we had many organizations and companies to share information and resources. Denice mentioned that Enhanced Vision, Dancing Dots, Agnes Williams and her beauty products, Blindness and Visual Services, OrCam, ViewPlus, and the Accessible Pharmacy were all present, just to name a few. Lynn thanked Denice on the wonderful job she did organizing the exhibit hall this year.

Resolutions: Lynn mentioned that there will be a resolutions committee meeting starting at 5:30 this evening. We have 1 resolution that should only take about 10 minutes to discuss.

Talent Show: Lynn reminded everyone that our NFB of PA talent show begins tonight at 7:00 p.m. During this talent show people can also participate in the affiliate silent auction by going to 32auction.com/nfbp2021 to make their bids. All of the items for the silent auction will be displayed around the room. There will be hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar as well. Denice asked for each chapter or division to designate a representative to describe their basket and announce the current top bid for the basket when called on during the talent show.

Chapter & Division Fundraisers: Emily announced that the parents’ division is raffling off a small basket that contains some potpourri, an ornament, a bowl, and some other items including a bottle of wine. Chances for the basket are $5 apiece. Angelina has the raffle tickets and there are only 50 tickets. Proceeds help to support the parents’ division.

President Emeritus: Jim Antonacci thanked everyone for being present. He noted that the most important work that gets done in the federation is the work that is done when we are all together. He welcomed all the first time convention attendees and hoped that this will not be their last.

Blind Veterans: Lynn thanked the members of the National Association of Blind Veterans who took the time to be present today and who were able to share in our veterans’ celebration last night.

Nominating Committee: Lynn mentioned that the nominating committee will be meeting after we adjourn the board meeting.

Joe made a motion to adjourn and Michelle seconded it.

Meeting adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Harriet Go
Secretary,
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania
_

Addendum to the Minutes from November 12, 2021
NFB of PA elections were held for the board of directors on Saturday November 13, 2021
First, Joe Drenth, Chair, thanked the members who served on the nominating committee with him, which included Denice Brown, Marsha Drenth, Simon Bonenfant, and Jason Polansky.
Then Joe shared the report of the nominating committee.
This year all 5 positions of the executive officers as well as 3 out of 6 of the board of directors positions are up for election. The 3 board positions that are not up for election are those positions held by Simon Bonenfant, Michelle McManus, and Jason Polansky.
The slate is as follow:
For President, Lynn Heitz
For 1st Vice President, Joseph Drenth
For 2nd Vice President, Emily Gindlesperger
For Secretary, Harriet Go
For Treasurer, Brian Mackey
For Director 1, Denice Brown
For Director 2, Kirk Hunger
For Director 3, Connie Scheu

Respectfully submitted,
Harriet Go
Secretary,
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania