[Nfbsatx] Join the Race for Independence and Win Funds for Your Affiliate

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 04:14:46 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

        One thing we could do at our next meeting is register members to
participate in the NFB's Race for Independence. I can bring the laptop which
has a wireless connection so we can register folks before, or following the
meeting. This is a wonderful way for us to help Texas meet its goal of
registering more members and increasing the number of chances to win
additional funds to support its programs.

    I would also suggest that any funds raised from the Red Robin or other
fundraising activities conducted this spring be put to supporting our
Imagination Fund and registering the chapter as a Race for Independence
participant. Mary and I are all ready registered and will be raising funds
to support the Imagination Fund.

 Assisting the Foundation for Fighting Blindness is okay, but those
organizations get support hand-over-fist. Mary and I would rather have seen
the recent contribution to this foundation be used to help our members
attend the 2010 national convention, support our own Imagination Fund, or
donated to the state affiliate to support the NFBT State Scholarship Program
instead. Mr. President I believe that a full-scale discussion of fundraising
activities and how these funds will be used is in order for our March
meeting. For those who don't know information about the NFB's Race for
Independence and the March contest appears below:

National Federation of the Blind's Race for Independence, Imagination Fund
Chairman Parnell Diggs today urged affiliates to sign up as many of their
members as possible by March 31.  For every ten members of each of the
Federation's fifty-two affiliates that sign up to be Imaginators and
participate in the Race for Independence by the end of March, the affiliate
will be entered in a drawing to receive $250.  The Race for Independence is
designed to raise funds for the National Federation of the Blind Imagination
Fund, which supports the education, technology, and research projects of the
NFB Jernigan Institute, as well as programs conducted by the fifty-two
affiliates and over seven hundred local chapters of the Federation.  For
more on this exciting competition visit:
http://www.raceforindependence.org

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song