[Nfbsatx] NFB SA April update

Jose Martinez jose.martinez07 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:50:26 UTC 2011

Welcome to your April update:

The month of March was a very busy month for us. We started by
attending two conferences at the start of the month, the low vision
expo and the hand by hand conference. We had great reception at both
conferences and we could not have done this with out the help from
every single one of you.

We also had a fundraiser with Chili’s which went rather well.

But one of our biggest projects that we are currently encountering has
to do with our legislator and their budget cuts. Things are being
presented that would hinder a blind person’s ability to receive
resources that would help them become independent and contribute to
their local communities, and we have been extremely active in
educating our Texas State Representatives and Senators on these issues
to make sure that that does not happen! For more information on these
issues, make plans to attend our meeting this month, our legislative
chair will be updating us on the status of these issues. Or you can
also check out our website where you can find an in-depth compilations
of documents dealing with where the NFB of Texas stands.

WWW.NFBSATX.ORG

We have a busy month ahead of us as we prepare for our final
fundraiser of the spring. Our plate sell is set to happen on May 7 at
Rodriguez Park, located at:

Rodriguez County Park
6098 Jerome Rd, San Antonio, TX 78227

Near the intersection of Jerome Rd and Gena Rd

The event will be from 12 to 4 pm. We are looking for donations for
items that are needed, and also people to sell tickets. If you are
interested in doing something for this event please let us know as
soon as you can. We will be sending more reminders of what is needed
through the coming weeks.

The launch date for the Braille class is Saturday May 21. Preparations
are being made for the official announcement and registration form to
be released in the coming days.

Our meeting is going to be on Saturday April 16, from 1 to 3 pm at the
San Antonio Lighthouse. I hope to see you all out there.

A. Z.