[NFBSATX] Meeting minutes from the month of May, 2021

ameliapelli95 at gmail.com ameliapelli95 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 14:15:28 UTC 2021

Hello everyone, I will paste our minutes from the month of May below for
those who missed the meeting. Let us know if any clarification is needed.

National Federation of the Blind, San Antonio chapter

Minutes for the Month of May 2021

Amelia Pellicciotti, secretary

The first item on our agenda is the secretary's minutes, which Amelia has
posted to the email list.

Unless there are any suggested changes, we need a motion to except the
minutes as read.

Margaret made that motion to accept them as read, it was seconded and
approved.

Bryan gave the treasurers report.

Is there a motion to accept the treasurers report as read?

It was seconded by Frank Carrillo. And approved.

Amelia briefly gave the Newsline report, and indicated that the Chapter
should have a few new Newsline sign-ups from perspective interested members.
She provided them the link to sign up individually, and we have had several
people reach out on social media, interested in the Chapter.

If anyone has any article ideas, please reach out with those submissions.

Next, we turn to our guest speaker, Audrey Sutterfield  from Morgan's
Wonderland Sports. This is an opportunity for our members of all ages to
work on their fitness goals at the Morgan's Wonderland Park facility at no
cost to them. through networking and information sharing, blind athletes
will have a chance to try new recreational skills, and experience
challenging and rewarding sports which they may not have tried before.

Audrey has interned with Morgan's Wonderland Sports in 2018, and is now the
director of the para sports program.

Morgan's Wonderland offers 13 different sports programs, they partner with
Texas Regional Para Sports for some guidance and training.

Some of the events offered are goalball, track and field, functional fitness
and a one-on-one program which allows people to meet their fitness goals.

Being able to exercise regularly  during the pandemic is very important.

You can sign up with Audrey for designated time slots of one hour.

The track and field program is seeking interested guide runner volunteers.

Texas Regional Para Sports can connect you with the contact for a separate
coach who organizes a hiking group each week.

Morgan's Wonderland has a new sports facility across from the park, which
adds pickleball and tennis.

Meanwhile, the brand-new Morgan's Wonderland camp is a 100-acre camp that
sleeps 525 campers and staff.

The camp offers cycling, horseback riding, archery and should be open in the
next few months.

If you ever want to be involved in Morgan's Wonderland Sports (also known as
straps).  email Audrey, and fill out an athlete registration form.

Audrey would like to offer the Chapter an opportunity to do a fitness
clinic.

Also, she forgot to mention that Morgan's Wonderland has a tandem bike that
they are offering for their one-on-one lessons.

Audrey's contact info will be provided below.

However, in order to get on the email list, a perspective participant must
first be registered with Straps.

Please note that any activities in doors at the park require a mask, however
for everything outdoors masks are highly recommended, but not required.

Margaret, one of our board members is a teacher of the visually impaired and
wants to get this information out to the students at San Antonio ISD.

Next, Sara Litzler talked about her experience competing in the Texas para
sports regional games.

She said that she overcame the challenges learning to long jump without a
sandpit.

Sara also shared that she has never thrown a discus before prior to a couple
of years earlier, when she joined track and field practice at Morgan's
Wonderland for the first time.

We thanked Audrey for coming and sharing information about the different
programs available.

Audrey would like to notify athletes that she is open to working with blind
individuals who would like to try competing in any type of sport to try
different adaptive techniques, and that blindness does not prevent
individuals from making any team or event.

Next, Bryan has explained for those who were not present how the Navi Lens
app works.

Blind users are invited to test QR codes on some popular bus routes, you can
also download a packet from the app with different tags for personal use so
that you can use one on physical landmarks such as your home or mailbox or a
favorite restaurant.

Finally, the board has agreed upon and approved a fundraiser to be drawn on
Father's Day, Wendy recommended that raffle ticket entries will be sold for
$5 for one, or 5 entries for 20. The winner would have their choice of an
Echo Show or Air Fryer with accessible app, and the chapter board will make
sure that the selected prize has all of the accessibility features. Both
items MSRP for $149 roughly, and have been tested by screen reader users.
Anyone can participate, and the fundraiser will be made available in the
next week, so that the Chapter has an opportunity to submit our new EIN
number to PayPal, in order to accept credit cards.

A motion to Adjourn was presented by Amelia at 1:19 p.m.

Sara seconded

Finally, here is the contact information for Audrey Sutterfield, our guest
speaker from Morgan's Wonderland sports.  Also included is the contact
information for Jennifer Weatherford at Texas Regional Para Sports, so that
our members may learn about more opportunities for adaptive clinics and
activities such as hiking and adaptive fitness. To register as an athlete
with Morgan's Wonderland sports, click the .com URL at Morgan's Wonderland
Sports, click on athlete registration, and then finally click the button
that says athlete registration form.

Contact info for STRAPS and TRPS

Audrey Sutterfield- CTRS

Program Manager

South Texas Regional Adaptive and Para Sports

Morgan's Wonderland

5223 David Edward's Dr.

San Antonio, Texas 78233

asutterfield at morganswonderland.com

Cell: 806-477-8179

STRAPS - Morgan's Wonderland Sports (morganswonderlandsports.com)

Jennifer Weatherford, MSRLS, CTRS, CIFT

Wild at Heart Inclusive Fitness LLC

Texas Regional Para Sport

jcweatherford10 at gmail.com

830-377-1238

Texas Regional Para Sport | Adaptive Sports Programs Texas
(texasregionalsport.org)