[NFBSATX] meeting minutes for the month of September 18, 2021

ameliapelli95 at gmail.com ameliapelli95 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:15:41 UTC 2021

San Antonio Chapter, Minutes for the Month of September 18, 2021

Amelia Pellicciotti, secretary

Meeting comes to order at 11:32 a.m.

We started with the board members introducing themselves

Wendy Walker, president, Frank Carrillo vice president, Amelia Pellicciotti
secretary, Bryan Baldwin treasurer, Margaret Howell, board member

We are going to forgo announcements and Chapter reports, if our speakers
from Via are ready, we can dive right into allowing them to present

We have a couple of gentlemen here from via metropolitan transit, Steve
Young is the vice president of Technology and Innovations and David Tilly is
the Fair Technology Administrator

Steve is honored to be here, and they are joining us to discuss the updated
Via Go Mobile + app.

Steve thinks that it is very important to call attention to the fact that
Via has a variety of fair payment options for their customers, there are
many solutions that work better for some individuals more than others.

David is going to be taking notes on user experiences during the
presentation to receive valuable feedback.

Via had an older app, and contracted out with a mobile ticketing agency, but
they informed the Transportation authority that they might be going out of
business. As a consequence, via had to really look at the marketplace and
find out who could be a strong provider of future services.

It can be disconcerting to switch apps on their customers, but it is an
opportunity for growth.

Another thing that was very critical is that Via adopted a platform that
allows it to grow with the organization.

You can use the Via Go Card, and tap the chip on a bus.

It is a goal of Via to integrate the Via Go Card account with the Via app.

Via gave the service provider for the contract lots of information about
color contrast and other items that could be fixed, such as phrasing or
wording. The new Via Go+ app also has Spanish language support.

Many cities across the country with very big agencies are using this same
app developer.

This approach is very different from Via designing an app from the ground
up.

Via wanted to pick a company that focuses well on accessibility and
mobility. We wanted a flexible vendor that can offer the tools needed to
incorporate new features.

At the end of July, Via launched their Via Go Mobile + app.

Via read customer reviews from folks stating that their old account did not
work with the new platform.

It is not perfect, but Via is dedicated to watching and reading customer
feedback.

Via's information technology team is aware that sometimes screen readers
don't interact well with hidden menus and dialogues.

The next update for the app will have some screen reader improvements. The
developer uses a company called Applause that uses human testers to ensure
that the right things are read at the right time.

Via has also noted that there is need for better color contrast.

David believes that Mesabi, the developer, has been very responsive to
suggested changes.

Wendy wanted to bring to David's attention that she has had to hit refresh
to make her tickets appear after purchase. Via will look into replicating
that bug.

On the buy tickets screen

Steven notified the group that the single tab allows you to buy a single
ticket, but there is also a multiple option.

Wendy wanted to make another note that there is a known issue specifically
for Via Trans riders.  If you double tap on multiple, it takes you to the
acceptance screen where users cannot continue, because they get stuck in the
terms of service screen. This issue also happens on Android Devices; single
works but not multiple. That issue has also occurred for Athalie as well.

Steve did mention, that you do have to put in your three-digit security code
when making any purchases. This is a more secure way to conduct business.

Once activated the tickets are time based. there were some passed issues
with tickets expiring at 3 a.m., but this has been resolved.

Wendy and Ruben indicated a bug in the ticket wallet when using Voiceover.
After clicking on the "ticket" wallet, when attempting to swipe right.
Sometimes the tickets would appear here, and sometimes it would show only
the tabs from the home screen.

When continuing the guided tour of the app, Steve mentioned that you will
then next receive a pop-up screen, stating "are you sure you want to
activate this ticket?" Guidance for specific kinds of tickets will appear
for monthly and daily bus passes.

Via does have future plans for a validator on the bus to keep customers
moving which would scan the ticket barcodes from your phone.

Via is attempting to simplify the fare paying process with the validator.
The app would keep track of how much you spent already, making it
unnecessary to purchase additional fares. For example, it would issue riders
a pass automatically, if they spent an amount equal to a day pass. This
makes riding more affordable for those who need it most. Users should please
note the expiration for all types of tickets is six months.

Next, the presentation from Steve and David turned to the utilities menu in
your Via Go mobile + account, which has lots of additional features.
Customers can choose to live only in the transit app.  it is an
internationally known app focused on bus riders and trip planning.

Next is the alerts option, which takes you into the web browser. Wendy
wanted to know if you had to create a separate account for the alerts
service?

While using Masabi, via doesn't want access to peoples third party
credentials. You would need to create a separate account for via alerts.
This service gives passengers information about weather delays,
construction, route changes or cancellations etc.

In the future Via is looking at more consolidation to integrate these
services for Go card and Transit.

There is also a button called scan account in the utilities menu.

If you click the scan code tab, a large QR code will pop up on the screen.

You can scan bar codes at the customer service windows to purchase tickets
for a form of contactless payment.

Ruben Rincon mentioned that he had the same issue as Wendy on his iPhone 12
pro. The wallet and the home screen show, but not the tickets that he
purchased. At this time, you have to physically place your finger on one of
the tickets in the middle of the screen to select it for activation.

Cindy Guilliams asked is there a way to add your debit card in the app when
purchasing tickets.

The only place to add a debit card is when you go to check out.

Cindy would please like a save card feature, outside of the ticket checkout,
so that she can add her credit card information ahead of time. Steve agreed
that this would be a good idea for a feature to add soon, especially for
parents who don't want a child to know their credit card information when
checking out to buy passes. When Wendy Walker first created an account, she
encountered an issue where the app would add on to the existing text on the
screen. For example, each time when she went to the next step by hitting the
next button for payment information, address, etc. it would add on to the
existing previous step. Maybe another possible solution is to have all the
steps on one screen or to have them appear one at a time.

Amelia wanted to know what is a good form of contact information, in the
event users struggle with the Go Mobile application specifically. Users can
call 210-362-2020 for customer service, hit #3 then #2 for the Go Mobile
agents.

David and Steve believe that customer service is usually very good about
relaying accessibility feedback regarding future development of the app.

Bryan would like to let the presenters know from a low vision standpoint the
buttons are very large and high contrast.

To specifically contact Paratransit for disabled customers, the phone number
is 210-362-2140.

Via ID's are smart cards, but you have to create a separate account to
manage them. Via go cards can be tapped on an older validator to pay any
type of fare. Via is hoping to merge the Go Mobile App, and Go Card features
into one account.

Via is having a tele town hall on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. in case our Chapter
members would like to hear this presentation again.

You can reach out to Martha Flores at martha.flores at viainfo.net for
information about the new Navi Lens program. This new feature being tested
allows users to scan bar codes on the side of the bus while walking by, in
order to learn information about a bus route and where it travels.

Steven and David had to log out. We need a motion to accept the minutes.
Athalie would like to move to accept the minutes as posted, with no changes.

Bryan gave the treasurers report.

Amelia offered a motion to accept the treasurers report as read. We have
earmarked funds for the basket and Access Ability fare.

October has been rebranded as Blind Equality and Achievement month. We are
participating in the 57 annual White Cane Awareness Day.

We are still figuring out the logistics for White Cane Day, 5 people from
the organization can attend. If someone wants to go it takes place on
October 15. We will meet first at 10:30 a.m. at a cathedral nearby, and walk
to city hall. The mayor is going to be present this year.

We would like to know if anybody wishes to go to White Cane Day, to please
let Wendy know as we still have some spots open.

Wendy would like to know if Frank would like to attend White Cane Day. Frank
indicated that he is going, so we have three spots left.

Next, Bryan Baldwin will give an update on the blood drive.

We have got a date secured on October 16, from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

After everyone has given blood we will hold our meeting, if you can't give
blood come anyway to meet with us face to face and support each other.

The fundraiser ends the day before the meeting. The prizes are a Sonos Roam,
Aftershokz bone conducting headphones, or a year of Audible membership. You
can buy a ticket on Venmo, Pay Pal, and Cash app.

We are experiencing issues with Venmo. Users with magnification software can
find us just fine. When you perform a search for the chapter with Voiceover,
the screen reader speaks an incorrect name for the business than what is
displayed.

State convention is going to be completely virtual this year.

We are doing a basket to auction off at state convention. The state
convention will use the Crowd Compass platform.

The day prior Jenny Salinas added a miniature pinata.

We got a Salina tote,

Jose Martinez donated a Jets t-shirt; Frank received a plushy toy from Guide
Dogs of Texas.

The basket needs to be themed local to San Antonio. The group has also
secured a donation from Fiesta Spices.

Get with Jenny and Frank if you would like to donate something.

Jenny does need everything soon so that she can give the update of what we
have to Liz Wisecarver by October 4. There will be a description of
everything in the basket on the state of Texas listserve.

Athalie Malone would like to know what is the name of the platform for state
convention, Wendy stated that it is called Crowd Compass. It contains links
to the different meetings but the actual sessions are on zoom.

Once we register Norma should send out links to the app. October 25 is the
last date to register, and last day to put your name forth for voting.

In November, Cynthia Watson, the new lighthouse CEO will be our November
speaker.

That is going to be an exciting meeting to sit in on.

Next, CPS Energy has tentative plans to change to an accessible capcha, and
they are giving a deadline of one-two years.

Jenny asked if Margaret Howell would attend

the Morgan's Wonderland camp, she is probably not going to be able to
attend.  Cindy Guilliams is not able to commit.

Meeting adjourns at 1:31 p.m.