[NFBSea] Minutes for Saturday August 18 2018

Cory Joseph cj at startingblind.com
Wed Aug 29 22:43:12 UTC 2018

Good afternoon everyone,

Please review the following minutes:

NFB Chapter Meeting - Saturday, August 18, 2018
Attendance

13 People

  *   Mike
  *   Jamal
  *   Buna
  *   Amandeep
  *   Shannon
  *   Jakob
  *   Marcie
  *   Mike
  *   Laura
  *   Cory
  *   Lynn
  *   Ron
  *   Mark
  *   Crystal

Treasury report

Beginning balance June: $736.32

Deposits: $34.07

Withdrawals: $215.08

  *   June PAC
  *   July PAC
  *   Reimbursement to Noel for the picnic
  *   Cashier check fee

Current balance $514.81

Marci donated $200 from personal funds at this August meeting!

State Update from Marci
State Convention

  *   October 26 to October 28
  *   Hotel RL in Olympia
  *   Rooms are $102 + tax, includes breakfast
  *   National Rep is Mark R. President of the NFB
  *   Cory Joseph to send out registration info soon

Completed first BELL program

  *   At WA school for the blind in Vancouver
  *   3 Children attended
  *   Had to end early due to Teacher personal emergency
  *   Kids enjoyed, played games, did activities, all was good

Sub-Minimum-Wage ordinance Update

Working with state legislators to meet in Olympia to discuss update wage ordinance update for state to disallow organizations from paying sub-minimum wages

Bike Share Update

  *   Testified at the committee meeting
  *   Met with multiple Seattle City council representatives multiple times
  *   Convinced Council member to draft proposal to amend requirements to not allow SDOT to spend half the money coming from initial bike-share renewals until SDOT delivers a full plan for management and parking enforcement of bike-share programs
  *   This is an ongoing issue in other cities
  *   Many issues with regard to bicycles in Seattle because large interest groups - Marci will continue to lead an effort

National Convention

  *   Amandeep first's convention was this 2018 convention
  *   2019 Will be at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas for $100 a night!

First-time Attendee

  *   Amandeep had a great learning experience
  *   Attended conference meetings
  *   Built skills for independent travel in the hotel, an airport, and dealing with travel in the city
  *   Enjoyed speaker who is a blind actor
  *   Enjoyed multiple speakers
  *   Big improvement from State convention to National - felt much more comfortable independently
  *   Feels more confident!
  *   Will go next year!

Picnic Summary

  *   A great success!
  *   Fantastic food - Big thanks to folks who brought chicken
  *   Happy to had a great collaboration
  *   Noel is a wonderful help
  *   Access rides were handled fairly well - with only some rides happening a bit late
  *   Weather was great
  *   Fundraiser sales of 50/50 and beans/cherries was a hit
  *   Need to attempt to bring in more new folks to improve diversity
  *   A GIANT thanks to Noel and Lynn for driving a great picnic

Fundraising Discussion

  *   Crystal encourages everyone who works for a corporation to document their volunteer time with the chapter or conventions - many companies have an employee giving programs that will match dollars to employee time spent volunteering with the organization
  *   Mike M. believes that fundraising that comes directly from members should be split 50/50 with chapters and state
  *   Recommend setting up your purchases for Amazon to go through the Amazon smile service at https://smile.amazon.com - donates a small percentage of purchases to a chosen organization

October Fundraiser Update

  *   Lagunitas Brewery<https://lagunitas.com/> is hosting the event - All profits go to NFBW
  *   1550 NW 49th St between 17th and 15th Ave NW
  *   The first week of October - Monday at 5 PM - October 1st, 2018
  *   Lynn will connect with Jimmy V's Italian food truck to ensure we have food
  *   Jamal and Lynn will send promotional social media posts if they receive the material from Crystal and Cory
  *   Crystal to send Cory promotional messages
  *   Our mission and work is the NFBW and NFB National mission, our work is their work and vice versa - we need to remember that is our message as we fundraise

Transit Update

Access para-transit task force to reform the service: New para-transit contract is out, the task-force is working to address the gaps in the contract and service level agreement in delivering services required by the ADA

  *   Looking for ways to address gaps in service
  *   Need to address to reduce ride times for drop-offs
  *   Recommending to bring in 3rd party service providers to supplement needs
  *   Focusing on para-transit issues only in this task force
  *   Will survey users and discuss other approaches with other metro areas
  *   Open public hearings are held mid-day every last Monday of the month
  *   Meeting 1:1 with committee leaders
  *   Focusing on 3rd party contracts in the coming weeks to supplement services

People need to come to transit board meetings on 4th Wednesday of the month at 6 PM in City Hall to encourage the board to fix transit - Without engaged voices, we will not see progress!

—

Cory Joseph

@coryj206<https://twitter.com/coryj206> // in/CoryJoseph<https://linkedin.com/in/coryjoseph> // 503-395-0191<tel:+15033950191>
Three-word mission: Innovate with empathy…