[NFBSea] FW: Act Now to support walk/bike/transit in this year's City Budget!

jacobstruiksma at gmail.com jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 01:37:15 UTC 2021

Passing on for your information.

Act Now to support walk/bike/transit in this year's City Budget!

<http://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/SNG-horizontal-logo-for-Summ
er-Parkways.png>

The City of Seattle is failing to reach its Vision Zero, climate, and equity
goals. A budget is a moral document, and we are working with the Move All
Seattle Sustainably (MASS) Coalition to ask the City Council to amend the
Mayor's proposed budget to better reflect our shared values.

Two easy ways to ask the City Council to prioritize people walking, rolling,
biking, and taking transit:

*	Phone in to give public comment Friday morning, 10/15, when Seattle
City Council discusses the transportation budget! Public comment starts at
9:30 am,  <http://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/public-comment> sign-up
opens at 7:30 am. How-to guide here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PJysr9j2JNHEUsC4waaIIRM1CEs5qXxkGGZnuOa
4lKs/edit?usp=sharing> .
*
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/FYJcESgQWwDvd9myp9t_IQ?t=16342578
94> Click here to send an email of support to the entire City Council

<http://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/DVSS-Budget-Hearing-Public-C
omment.png>

This year we're supporting some critical changes to make the budget better
reflect our city's values and priorities:

1.	Vision Zero: Increase funding for our Vision Zero program, which has
strong equity and safety prioritizations.
2.	Sidewalks: Increase funding for sidewalk construction, particularly
along critical transit corridors, improving access for disabled people,
elders, and others.
3.	Lake Washington Boulevard: Conduct equitable engagement to design
and implement permanent improvements for Lake Washington Boulevard.
4.	Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Safety: Ask SDOT to come up with a plan
to make this high crash corridor safer for people walking, biking, and
accessing transit.
5.	Remove Data Collection from the Police: Ask SDOT to analyze what it
would take to collect street safety and crash data in order to move this
work away from the Seattle Police Department.
6.	Smart Planning: Demand accountability for the "Citywide Integrated
Transportation Plan," which may undercut our efforts to make safer streets.
7.	Progressive Revenue: Continue to seek new progressive revenue, and
direct sources such as the Vehicle Licensing Fee and Commercial Parking Tax
towards street safety.

<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/FYJcESgQWwDvd9myp9t_IQ?t=16342578
94>

Click here
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/FYJcESgQWwDvd9myp9t_IQ?t=16342578
94>  to ask City Council to support people walking, rolling, biking, and
taking transit, and phone in Friday morning, 10/15, at 9:30 am when Seattle
City Council discusses the transportation budget!
<http://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/public-comment> Sign-up to give
public comment opens at 7:30 am. How-to guide here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PJysr9j2JNHEUsC4waaIIRM1CEs5qXxkGGZnuOa
4lKs/edit?usp=sharing> .

<https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/AuroraAve_KidsWalkingToScho
ol.png>

Increase funding for Vision Zero, new sidewalks, and Home Zones

Safety for people walking and rolling is more urgent than ever given the
sharp uptick in traffic deaths
<https://www.theurbanist.org/2021/09/09/seattle-on-pace-for-record-traffic-f
atalities-in-2021/>  this year, which disproportionately impact people of
color, low income people, unhoused people, disabled people, elders, and
their communities. These deaths are also geographically concentrated -- over
half occured in Southeast Seattle
<https://southseattleemerald.com/2021/07/06/district-2-bears-the-brunt-of-se
attles-traffic-deaths/> . District 2 Councilmember Tammy Morales has
proposed several increases.

<https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/KMS_LWB_SmilingFamily_Terry
HolmeResized.png> Projects in Southeast Seattle

We also support Councilmember Morales's proposals for projects within her
district. District 2 has long been underfunded and lacking in publicly
accessible park space and safe streets infrastructure.

*	Lake Washington Boulevard: $200,000 to conduct equitable engagement
and develop a community design for a long-term vision for people using this
iconic waterfront space.
*	Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Safety: A request that SDOT develop a
plan to make this high crash corridor safer for people walking, biking, and
accessing transit. MLK Blvd is one of the most dangerous streets in Seattle,
and has seen 3 community members killed this summer
<https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/1-dead-1-injured-after-becoming-t
rapped-underneath-a-light-rail-train-near-seattles-columbia-city/> .

  <https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/PoliceReport.jpg>

Remove Data Collection from the Police

Currently, our street safety data relies exclusively on police reports,
which results in huge gaps in data. Reports skew towards vehicle crashes,
and incidents often go unreported, particularly those involving Black
people, Indiginous people, and other People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants,
those who do not speak English fluently, and low-income or unhoused people.
Our BIPOC Whose Streets? Our Streets! <https://seattlegreenways.org/wsos/>
Workgroup recommendations include developing a new, holistic data-collection
structure without police involvement, and we're supporting Councilmember
Morales's request that SDOT analyze what it would take to collect street
safety and crash data -- the first step towards moving this work away from
the Seattle Police Department.

  <https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/Seattle-Bus.jpg> Smart
long-term Planning

SDOT is currently developing a "Citywide Integrated Transportation Plan" to
combine and replace the existing pedestrian, bike, transit, and freight
master plans. However, the process has been opaque, and early releases are
worrying, particularly for people walking, rolling, and biking. We're
recommending a proviso on the $2.5 million budget item for devising this
multimodal master plan, requiring that SDOT bring that process out into the
public eye and ensure that they follow through with their stated climate,
equity, and mobility goals.

  <https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/Mayoral-VLF-proposal.png>
Progressive Revenue Options

Seattle doesn't have the funding available to fully meet the overlapping
crises around housing, climate, mobility, and racial justice, which is why
it's crucial Seattle continues to pursue progressive revenue, and direct new
sources such as the Vehicle Licensing Fee and Commercial Parking Tax towards
street safety.

<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/FYJcESgQWwDvd9myp9t_IQ?t=16342578
94>

Click here
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/FYJcESgQWwDvd9myp9t_IQ?t=16342578
94>  to ask City Council to support these priorities, and phone in Friday
morning, 10/15, at 9:30 am when Seattle City Council discusses the
transportation budget!
<http://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/public-comment> Sign-up to give
public comment opens at 7:30 am. How-to guide here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PJysr9j2JNHEUsC4waaIIRM1CEs5qXxkGGZnuOa
4lKs/edit?usp=sharing> .

Get involved in Seattle Neighborhood Greenways by
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/nh2jaN1TtPutuDRTl9D5RQ?t=15247672
20> volunteering with us or
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/cHEGKrdwq8zgyufFhza4sA> donating
to support our work.

Thank you for your continued advocacy!

  <http://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/clara.jpg> Clara Cantor
she/her

Community Organizer
Seattle Neighborhood Greenways
Website
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdjk1qxDAMRk9jL40s_8hdeNEwzDWC63g
cFycpicswtx9nSrsoCCQ-pKc3eSfjG_HiEaQDKw2CMgBCiqskjfoiNWkY7ABMw5JR1NJaTXlPaa0
lz02sqfGa67iEUsuaxzIxMzBz8WdDRCKrsA894tXPrX0x9c7w2utI4Q92D49DbHvuMd_953bM8V5
qLWE5-ud80kXcFt58iHH7XtsoJSris_-YLDllIVl9c2SUdiRNgim4c-GmXna_R__sXowfuSfDkk5
L>  - Twitter
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdjs1uhCAQgJ8GjmQYQPTAoWazvfXSBzC
ILNKM2iiN6dsXt-mlySTzk5lvvsm1MnSWZ4cgW2ikQVAGQEhxl1ajvkltNfRND0zDklBQLoVi2mN
cKae5iDUWTomGxWfKaxryxEzPzM1dCRGtbRTWoo44ubmUT6ZeGN5rlLPC4i7CttTu_e31op7---C
7-9iOOZyZKPvlqL_Txb82eXE-hO1rLYOUqCyfnYfuMVrAB3glO0DvJzRtN41hRB8Qn35_R__8nox
fvR-Jf0_X>  - Facebook
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdj01uwyAQhU8DS8TwGy9YxEqTA_QAFia
AabGpYiLU2xen6qbSSDN6mnnvm7s5gRs0ToZROFEFklEuKSVArqAFExcQWtBRjRQJukZGcqo1-_j
wfsspLpVsvuIc87TalNMWp3RHckTyYo7GGNNacdaHLuFsllq_dsTPiF17tdZIsM7PpXwSV9Yuvb-
db4d5s987fpiPsi-upZyTXfeOEI-YYxVXY50rz61OAIxrvJhZdy-rQwDJ-y9KwUBhCLNXQQOAfWH
-Hf3DfHn8Uv4A3EhR-g>

PS: Get your tickets now for our upcoming 10th Anniversary Celebration and
Fundraiser Streets For People
<https://seattlegreenways.org/streetsforpeople2021/>  on November 7th!

<http://email.mg.seattlegreenways.org/o/eJxdjcsOgyAURL9GloR7eZUFizb6HQYRKa1o
opimf1-16aarmUxy5vTWMK5AkmSRIQADyYAJlBRobfDKG9XgVTFmtKkEy5GuwZUyhriEML3ce6Xz
EskYxza7NKYptqmv5K2StT0CEaXiXOHe9o0s9uH83K1l2dJzzW7_jAdI_ZxJsc77eZtKC4Bck7t1
8qJVN2hAoUXAfhBCGO_DILvQeRCn-Af9ic-Pr_YDtG9CsQ>