[NFBSea] National news

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 22 23:50:22 UTC 2023

December Presidential Release Next Week:
The National Federation of the Blind Presidential Release #533 <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> is scheduled for November 30, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Zoom ID 91543076239. Each presidential release live includes a question and answer session. Please submit questions early to cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>.

News:
Double Your Impact with a Matching Gift Opportunity:
During our October Presidential Release <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>, President Riccobono announced that HumanWare has generously offered a matching grant. HumanWare will match gifts to the National Federation of the Blind up to $50,000 during the months of October, November, and December. Participate by visiting our donate page <https://nfb.org/donate> and share with your friends and family. Learn more about the HumanWare challenge grant and watch our launch video <https://nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give/matching-gift-opportunity>.

Application Open 2024 Bolotin Awards:
The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2024 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>.

Braille Readers Are Leaders:
The Braille Readers Are Leaders contest opened for registration in October. You still have time to register <https://actionfund.beanstack.org/reader365>, as the contest doesn’t officially start until December 4. This year we have not only the youth and adult contests but we have a challenge for teachers of blind students as well.

Use the Beanstack website <https://actionfund.beanstack.org/reader365> or the Beanstack app to log your many minutes of reading. Have fun and challenge your friends, family members, and colleagues who read Braille to join you.

2024 Washington Seminar:
We are a little more than two months away from the 2024 Washington Seminar! As a reminder, the 2024 Washington Seminar officially begins on Monday, January 29, 2024, with our annual Great Gathering-In, followed by three days of Federation members meeting with their elected representatives in the US Congress. Hotel reservation information can be found on our Washington Seminar page <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>. Be sure to reserve your rooms as soon as possible, and don’t forget to keep checkingnfb.org/Washington-seminar <https://nfb.org/Washington-seminar> for updates.

Latest Podcast Episode: “Celebrating and Supporting Blind Veterans”:
Melissa Riccobono and Chris Danielsen discuss Veterans Day and the role of veterans in the National Federation of the Blind. They are joined by Dr. Vernon Humphrey, the president of the National Association of Blind Veterans (NABV), a division of the National Federation of the Blind; and José Centeno, a blind veteran, marathon runner, and member of the NABV. Listen to the episode, “Celebrating and Supporting Blind Veterans.” <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast>

Are You Ready for Some Football?:
Want to read more about your favorite NFL team in preparation for this upcoming holiday weekend? Or are MLB, NHL, or NBA more to your liking? NFB-NEWSLINE has you covered with a new publication for sports lovers everywhere. You can now find tons of sports coverage in The Athletic, located in the Breaking News Online section of NFB-NEWSLINE. For more information, contact Scott White at extension 2231 or by sending an email to swhite at nfb.org <mailto:swhite at nfb.org>.

Independence Market Holiday Orders:
If you plan to place an order with the Independence Market and want to have it delivered in time for the holidays, orders should be placed by Wednesday, December 13, 2023. This will increase your chances for Free Matter delivery before Christmas. Thank you and happy holidays.

Reminders:
Lift Up with Lyft Round Up:
The National Federation of the Blind is still part of Lyft’s Round Up program. Please go to the menu in your Lyft app, choose Donate, and select the National Federation of the Blind to have each fare rounded up to the nearest dollar with 100 percent of your contribution going to raise expectations and make dreams come true.