[NFBSea] NFB of Washington Greater Seattle Chapter Meeting Minutes for March 09, 2024

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Fri Mar 15 03:29:50 UTC 2024

Dear All,

Please find the NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter Meeting Minutes for March
09, 2024 below my online signature. Any questions please do not hesitate
to reach any member of our board.

Thanks! Happy sunny weekend!

Regards,

Humberto Avila, Secretary, NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter

  NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter Meeting

March 09, 2024

Call to order via Vice Pres. Kristin Geary at 11:06 AM due to President
Amandeep getting late to the meting venue.

Introducing ourselves

We have some new people in attendance including ones from the OTC

    Business:

  * The Treasurer’s report from Marci and Collin Wong has been aproved.
    Collin is absent so humberto read report.
  * The minutes were voted, Kristin read them, and the minutes that were
    read were aproved.
  * Amandeep was here at 11:21 AM
  * There is no State of the State Report, but Linn" asked to say about
    Washington Ellections. the deadline for submitting your Primary
    ellections vote is March 12. This one’s about party ellection. The
    state is going to a party ellection system. Register online in
    person This chapter has always ALWAYS been involved with King County
    Ellections. It’s so important to be part of the electorate and
    encouraged to cast votes. Noelle says that she heard on Radio that
    you need to sign the envelopes and the ballots themselves in order
    to truly cast vote. March 12 is the primary election event.
  * Marci said she will give us an update on the Mariners fundraiser for
    the summer and we will get up to date.
  * Several board members are out today, and we are switching dates to
    second Saturday of the month

We need more ideas for committees and we need your input on future
chapter meetings and involvement.

Please fill out the Convention feedback form, and explain what could be
improved. The chapter will give its input on what they liked or did not,
starting with: Noelle, Charles, saying their improvements and if history
of the NFB can be shared a little bit during conventions.

Amandeep played Goalball during Convention!

Is there a way to listen to what the guest speakers were sharing during
Convention! Or, transcripts or recordings of speeches? Asked by Linn

We need to form a committee to get more people to attend convention;
something like financial assistance.

The 50 50 fundraiser was great too!

National Convention is coming up, please register soon
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=592>! Also encouraged
to apply for scholarships.

Talk to Marci about attending scholarships and for the Kenneth Jernigan
fund. Deadline for the Gernican is April 15.

Convention is from: July 3, through July 8.

If you need assistance, Muaiat who is Muna’s brother, is willing to
share a room with another male. Please contact ASAP.

We have a couple people come in late. at around 11:40

This is our first meeting with a new board. But we have had such a huge
turnout.

Discussion about organizing for the Seattle picnic. We need to start
planning for that.

Muna’s brother shared some insights about accessibility in offices,
court documents, textbooks for students, and other things. For documents
he charges $1 per page, and for students, it is $0.25.

If you want to pitch in to the Seattle chapter, please email
Payments at nfbw.org and indicate “Seattle chapter” in the notes.

Sarah and others mentioned Dinner in the Dark, and Humberto described
his philosophy about how to go about it and how modelling could make it
work better. A blind person showing them the way.

Kristin mentioned if she could do a 50 50 raffle at the White cane day
walk in October? incorporate a walkathon and say we’re members of the
NFB and sponsor us.

But yes, any social events are more than welcome. Not just sitting down
in a restaurant and sit and be bored

Also walk and just mingle and do something fun! Kristin, Linn and
Amandeep are getting their heads together. Also, let’s do a Zoom movie
night.

Sarah Teshome has just paid her dues and became a new member.

a a

mary also mentioned about an ad being on TV and is concerned something
about wearing glasses. it is scary because she thinks they’re scaring
people into not accepting their blindness that may eventualy happen. But
Noelle pointed out, and others, that it’s just about glasses. But the
point is, as the NFB how do we counteract.

Muna leaves the meeting at 12:15.

Meeting has been adjourned by acclamation.

Sent from my iPhone