[Nfbsf] Next NFBSF Chapter Meeting NOTE TIME CHANGE

Tim Elder tim at timeldermusic.com
Sun Aug 7 12:50:13 UTC 2016

Please note the time change for our regularly scheduled meeting and the
possibility of a special guest.

What:  Next San Francisco NFB Chapter Meeting
When:  Every second Tuesday, next on August 9, 2016, from 7:00 to 8:30 P.M
(note time change- we will attend free concert at LightHouse starting at
5:30 with reception to follow before meeting).
Where: San Francisco Lighthouse – 1155 Market Street, San Francisco, Tenth
Floor

----

The San Francisco chapter of the National Federation of the Blind will meet
on Tuesday evening, August 9, 2016 at the San Francisco LightHouse, 1155
Market Street, Tenth Floor, San Francisco.  We will enjoy a concert and
reception starting at 5:30 PM.  The formal meeting begins at 7:00  PM and
adjourns promptly at 8:30 PM.
Last meeting we talked about the highlights of the national convention and
shared our favorite take-aways.  Next meeting, we will enjoy the pre-meeting
concert described below, gear up for state convention (preregistration
<http://www.nfbcal.org/nfbcnew/2016/08/2016-state-convention-pre-registratio
n-now-available/>  now available!), and discuss a bit about what our mission
for the chapter will be going forward.  In addition, we may have a very
special guest from our national leadership in Baltimore.  Don’t miss this
great opportunity to connect with others in the blindness community who are
living the lives they want.  Invite a friend and come join the movement.
Chapter President Tim Elder can be reached at eldert at uchastings.edu or at
410.415.3493.

Blind Music Academy Free Concerts

In its third year, LightHouse’s summer Music Academy grows and expands. With
an emphasis on composition, performance and learning to read and write music
in braille for musicians who are blind or have low vision and are ages 16 to
24, our talent pool and ambition continues to grow.
Each year Blind Music Academy culminates with a performance by our blind
students, and this time around the group has announced that they will
perform not once but three times, with additional concerts in both downtown
Napa and San Francisco. Our students include a virtuosic classical pianist
from Vera Cruz, Mexico and a locally-known jazz radio DJ and percussionist
from El Paso, Texas, and the shows are guaranteed to be musically diverse
and exciting.
Tuesday, August 9 – LightHouse for the Blind, 5:30 p.m., with reception
following.
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco 94103

The concerts are free.
Watch these videos, concert pianist Fernando Apan and percussionist Lawrence
Brown:

Fernando Apan interprets Mozart
<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969
a0798&id=09d7cf9502&e=28e666f248>

Fernando Apan: Fantasía Para Piano y Clarinet
<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969
a0798&id=c091092c9b&e=28e666f248>

Interview with Lawrence Brown
<http://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b5969
a0798&id=b20f4208ba&e=28e666f248>

About Blind Music Academy
Enchanted Hills Camp has paired up with Bill McCann, founder and president
of Dancing Dots Braille Music Technology. Bill McCann pioneered this
specialized music academy model both in Canada and in the United States.
Music Academy is for musicians who are blind or have low vision between the
ages of 16 to 24 years old who are serious about music or might be thinking
of entering the profession.

This academy introduces students to using non-visual techniques to compose
music, read the works of others, learn performance skills and gain the
capacity to compete for and win employment in the music field.