[Nfbsf] January Minutes

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Mon Feb 11 22:06:04 UTC 2019

Remember, next meeting is Tuesday, February 12th at 6!  All our welcome!

1155 Market Street, tenth floor.  San Francisco.

-------------------------

Ice Breaker: Something you like to do during the holidays

Kay Hatori
Jim Barbour         - I enjoy visiting family
Amy Mason           - Getting to explore San Francisco with Christina and Laura
Bryan Bashin        - Camping
Sara Hadsell        - Grand Canyon
Adam Rudenbeck      - travel
Serena Olsen        - Stay-cation - Overnight in Chinatown
John Long           - Walking
Richie Flores       - 5 White elephant gifts
Jeff Buckwalter     - Movies
Cindy Fassler       - Did not travel :)  Did walk to Mount Diablo
Lisa Irving Pardini - Cooking and baking
Daveed Mandell      - Cheese from the cheese board
Tim Elder           - Music and Resting
Jordyn Castor       - piano lessons
Ed Vaughan          - Stayed up 'til midnight
Nikita Stewart      -
Laura Millar        - Taught my child to sleep in
Kate Williams       - Visited all her children and grandchildren

-------------------------
Announcements

1.  Dues are $10.00.  Please pay before next month's election.  Feel free to designate your dues to go toward food.

2.  Sarah Hadsell gave treasurers report.  We have an 18 month high of $1,052.07 Raised $695.00 since October.  We give $5.00 per month to PAC.

    Jim asked how we did on our raffle.  We made $195.00 profit.

3.  At national convention, we will not be charged the resort fee, which means we won't have wifi or gym access.

-------------------------
Elections

Last year, the chapter passed a constitutional amendment that makes elected officer's terms 2 years long, instead of one.  Also, we now split elections of positions so that the President and both vice presidents are elected in even years. The secretary, treasurer and both board positions will be elected in odd years.

This means that the secretary, treasurer, and both board positions are up for election in February.  These will each be for 2 year terms.

Also, our first vice president, Lisamaria Martinez, has asked to step down due to conflicts that make it difficult for her to attend chapter meetings.  So we will also hold a special election in February for first vice president.  This will be a one year term, to fill out Lisamaria's existing term.

Thank you Lisamaria for all your work on the board and with the chapter.  It is very much appreciated!!

-------------------------
Helping a family with blind, single mom who survived the Paradise file

Lisa Irving made an announcement that the Paradise fire left a blind mom (Andrea) and three children who lost their home.  Our chapter has the opportunity to make a contribution to help purchase adaptive kitchen equipment for this family.

Bryan Bashin says that Debbie's information is a little out of date.  Her equipment needs are already being met.

She still needs training and support, which the NFB can help with.

Also, the NFB could Provide funding, mentorship, etc. to allow Andrea and her family to go to convention in Las Vegas.

Daveed made a motion to send them a $200.00 check.

Laura suggested a gift card or something to an experiential event for the family

The motion was not seconded and was not voted on.

Jim commented that the convention should not be considered a luxury for this family.  It will be a huge step forward in training and support.

We decided to wait until a more coordinated effort was put in place.

-------------------------
Tech Together Event

Jeff Buckwalter announced that the lighthouse will sponsor a tech together group on 1/15 from 1 to 4.  This is designed for people who want to bring their own technology and would like to learn more about it.

Adam asked if more volunteers were needed.  Amy said unofficially volunteers would be welcome.

-------------------------
Women's March Oakland's disability contingent.

Laura Millar announced that there will be a disability contingent at the Women's March Oakland on January 19th.  To request a guide for the march, please sign up.  If you have questions, please talk with Laura.

-------------------------
NFB Scholarship Program

Bryan Bashin says that our own Bryan Bashin and Jordyn Castor are on the NFB National Scholarship committee. If you know blind students who need money, please encourage them to apply for an NFB national scholarship.

Holman Prize 2019

Christina Daniels says that the San Francisco Lighthouse is soliciting candidates for the Holman prize.  If you are a blind adult with an idea of a great adventure they'd like to do as a blind person, please consider applying.

Finishing Up

* We will be setting up local meetings with some of the congress folks from the bay area.  Probably Nancy Pelosi, Eric Swalwell, and Barbara Lee.  Interested folks are Jim, Christina, Jordyn, Cindy, Adam, Amy, Lisa, and Nikita.  Daveed has connections with Barbara's office and has offered to help facilitate.

* Who can do food for February's meeting?  Richie and Cindy volunteered.  Thanks to you both!

* We want to form a committee to help mentor new members. help people feel welcome, included, and listened to.  This will help build chapter membership.

* Lisa wants to use the Birdbox movie to help us connect with the * sighted community in a fun and interesting way.

* Next meeting is Tuesday, February 12th at 6:00 PM.