[NFBSF] Upcoming Blind Surf & Sun Event SoCal Lions Event

Lisa M. Irving bernieslife at icloud.com
Wed Jul 3 03:32:16 UTC 2019

                    ENCINITAS LIONS

     BLIND SURF EVENT

SEPTEMBER 8, 2019

     9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM

SAN DIEGO'S VISUALLY IMPAIRED WILL ONCE AGAIN HIT THE WAVES AT SOUTH PONTO
BEACH

MARK YOUR CALENDAR, The Encinitas Lions Club in partnership with Urban Surf
4Kids and Stella Maris Surfing will hold their 24th Annual Surfing Clinic
for the blind and visually impaired.  All participants will be given free
event T-Shirts. Surfers are provided wet suits, surfboards and instruction,
in the water by Certified Surfing Instructors as they challenge themselves
to balance atop surfboards.  Breakfast and a BBQ lunch for all our guests
will be included, weather you surf or come to enjoy a day at the beach.  Of
course there will be no charge and no age limit.

In 1925 Helen Keller challenged the Lions Club to become the  "Knights of
the Blind".  Thus our club identifies needs within our community and work
together to fulfill those needs. In addition to the annual Blind Surfing
Event, the Encinitas Lions Club works on a variety of projects specifically
designed to help the sight impaired, such as free diabetes and eye testing
clinics, eye glass recycling, prescription eye glasses, Guide Dogs for the
Blind and Audible Traffic Signals throughout our city.

Our BLIND SURFING EVENT received international recognition when featured on
the 2015 Lions Rose Bowl Parade float.  Our own (sight impaired) surfer
Sebastian De Long rode the float as well as other sight impaired surfers
from our community.

Free Surfing Instruction

Free: Breakfast & BBQ Lunch

Free: Commemorative T-Shirts

Free: Transportation for those in need.

Directions: In Carlsbad, from the 5 Freeway, take the Poinsettia turn off,
go west to Pacific Coast Highway.  Turn left (south) and proceed about two
miles to South Ponto Beach on your right.  You will see our canopy from the
street and can park free.

You may preregister by clicking on the following link
<https://urbansurf4kids.org/event-calendar/encinitas-lions-surf-event-visual
ly-impaired/> Surfing With the Visually Impaired Registration or contact
Lion Bob Mangini at 760 436 7338 email blindsurfersmail at gmail.com
<mailto:blindsurfersmail at gmail.com>