[NFBSF] Braille Story time Planning

Virginia Prince ginnymurphy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:43:43 UTC 2020

Hello Kevin, Lisamaria, Christina, and Amy,

When: Braille storytime will be on March 31 Tuesday.

Where: Dimond branch of the Oakland library. 3565 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94602

6:30: Arrival of Volunteers and set up.

Braille Storytime Agenda (draft):
At 6:45 - Open meeting room early to “Braille your name”
7pm, Storytime Start - Nathan announces special guests, begins opening song.
Opening song: “Let everyone clap hands like me” (repeats with other actions) (Ginny and Nathan)
Book 1: The Secret Code
Nathan turns Storytime over to special guests: Amy & volunteers
Amy & Volunteers introduce Braille to the audience.
Transitional Activity 1: ABCs? - If this is slow-paced we may need to do a physical stretch or a song afterwards to refocus their attention. - Volunteers
Transitional Activity 2: The Elevator Stretch (or a song) -  Ginny
Book 2: Miss Nelson is Missing or Pedro and the Octopus (Volunteers)
Transitional Activity 3: Stretch as Tall as a tree, as wide as a house, thin as a pole, tiny as a mouse.
Closing song: The More We Get Together - Ginny
Q&A session. - Volunteers

7:45 Breakdown and Close up.

Planning gathering: 515pm Tuesday 3/10 before the NFB meeting at the lighthouse.

- receive braille books to practice reading to a group “library style” with holding up the book for kids to see after each page.
- practice alphabet song while demonstrating the letter character cells.
- answer questions and dole out roles for the storytime.

Materials Needed:

- 2 muffin tins (6 muffin cups instead of 12 is ideal for alphabet song demonstration)
- 18 balls of some kind (tennis fit well) to fit into the muffin tins. (Might be able to get one set on loan from Divina at the lighthouse)
- A few more slate and stylus or perkins braillers, something to be brailled on for the kids’ names.

Sent from my iPhone