[NFBSF] New Opportunity at LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Adult Program Coordinator

Edward Garcia EGarcia at lighthouse-sf.org
Fri Oct 29 17:34:56 UTC 2021

Hello to all of you friends of LightHouse.  I am reaching out to you regarding a key position that is open at our agency. This position is critical not only to our Community Services Team but to our entire Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired agency. The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired has continued to serve the blind community through many innovative programs and services. Civic participation is encouraged by attending community forums, programs, and service events. We are searching for an Adult Program Coordinator to bring these services to the members of our blind and low vision community.

This key position will be responsible for developing a full schedule of programs both virtually and at the LightHouse headquarters and in the community. This individual will coordinate, supervise, or otherwise provide support to volunteers, student volunteers, and/or program participants to ensure smooth facilitation of active program hours.

In addition, we are looking for an individual with the ability to build strong, fruitful relationships with individuals, organizations, and other community partners who can support the Lighthouse's goal of a thriving Adult Program by facilitating or teaching activities.

Our organization is committed to establishing and codifying a culture, workforce and service that is blind positive, reflects our society and stands against discrimination in any form.

Let me know if you have any questions. The job announcement is included within this email below with a description and instructions on how to apply. It is also included as an attachment for those with that preference along with a blank application. Please review and share with candidates you feel would be good fits with our agency and it's culture.

Thanks
[Title: LightHouse Logo in persimmon and black.  - Description: ightHouse Logo in persimmon and black. The word Lighthouse is bookended by a braille L and a braille H. Words read LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.]

          LIGHTHOUSE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

POSITION:                  Adult Program Coordinator

REPORTS TO:    Community Services Director

STATUS: Exempt - Full time: 37.5 hours

DEADLINE: Open Until Filled

Role Overview:
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind is a dynamic nonprofit organization, serving the blind community through many innovative programs and services. Certified teachers provide skills training to blind and low-vision students to increase independence. Blind youth engage in high expectations-based immersion training to prepare them for college, work, and beyond. Civic participation is encouraged by attending community forums and service events. On-demand tactile mapping and a quarter of a million pages of Braille are produced each year in the MAD LAB, and countless lives are changed at our Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We need your talents, hard work and dedication to continue meeting and surpassing these expectations.

Diversity and Inclusion: LightHouse intentionally and actively works to minimize barriers to employment faced by many marginalized groups. As a result, we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and abilities, including but not limited to applicants who possess various disabilities, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identities, and ages.

Primary responsibilities:
The LightHouse Adult Program Coordinator will:

·        Be responsible for developing a full schedule of programs both virtually and at the LightHouse headquarters and in the community.

·        Coordinate, supervise, or otherwise provide support to volunteers, student volunteers, and/or program participants to ensure smooth facilitation of active program hours.

·        Build strong, fruitful relationships with individuals, organizations, and other community partners who can support the Lighthouse's goal of a thriving Adult Program by facilitating or teaching activities.

·        Collaborate with Lighthouse staff and volunteers to work as a team on projects, assignments, and tasks.

·        Oversee administrative support in ensuring entry of pertinent data into Salesforce and maintaining clear and professional student records.

·        Oversee administrative support in processing and recording program service fees and expenses.

·        Manage and coordinate administrative support, supervisors, and other relevant LightHouse staff and community partners to ensure appropriate compliance with grant guidelines.

·        Maintain student confidentiality.

·        Actively develop and manage relationships with partners and community members to recruit students and outreach while simultaneously promoting existing effective programs

·        Conduct oneself in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that they are representatives of the Lighthouse.

·        Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize assignments.

·        Consistently report to work on time and be ready to begin performing assigned duties and responsibilities.

·        Provide First Aid or CPR if necessary.

·        Attend staff meetings and departmental briefings as requested.

·        Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy.

·        Other duties may also be assigned or re-assigned according to candidate's skill set.

·        Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.

Supervisory Responsibilities:

  *   The Adult Program Coordinator serves as an important liaison between the LightHouse, volunteers, program participants, and community partners. Developing and managing these relationships is a vital part of creating high-quality and engaging social, recreational, and educational opportunities for the blind community and essential to success in this role
  *   Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:

·        Education or equivalent: B.A. degree in a relevant field such as education, special education, or recreational therapy; Master's degree preferred.

·        Experience:

·        Must possess at least three years direct experience working with blind and low-vision adults.

·        Must be a competent and effective user of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Salesforce or other database experience and knowledge of Zoom or other web conferencing platforms a plus.

·        Comprehensive knowledge on the latest trends impacting the blind and low-vision community as well as a general understanding of the blindness community (e.g., alternative skills blind and low-vision people use to work, travel, and participate as everyday citizens of their communities.

·        Current certification in First Aid and/ or CPR.

·        Bilingual (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin, ASL).

·        Experienced with social media or Braille literate a plus.

Physical Requirements:

·        Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; ability to work at home or in office independently.

  *   Regular evening and weekend assignments
  *   Must be able to carry or transport 25 lbs.

Working Conditions:

LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual's race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.

LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.

LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer.  The Lighthouse's Equal Opportunity statement can be found here: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/
WHO WE ARE:
LightHouse has an audacious mission - to transform the lives of the 40,000-blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes, and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm, and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all the principal buildings for Northern California's federal, state, and local government. Also, in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum, and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources, and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere
Learn About Us:

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
www.lighthouse-sf.org<http://www.lighthouse-sf.org>

Employee Benefits:
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Compensation:
Depending on Experience; "industry competitive"

How to Apply:
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description located at our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/<https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/senior-executive-assistant/>, please complete an application as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing attachments, (no PDFs please).

Please send those word documents to hr at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:hr at lighthouse-sf.org>. Please include the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Ed Garcia
Human Resources Generalist
Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired

egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org>
650-759-0470

We are now scheduling appointments for in-person one-on-one training. If you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and would like training in access technology, orientation & mobility, Braille or independent living skills, phone 415.694.7323 or email info at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:info at lighthouse-sf.org>. Online group classes are also continuing so please visit our calendar<https://lighthouse-sf.org> to find times and sign up.