[NFBSF] Meeting Minutes for January 2024

Monica Wegner monica.wegner at outlook.com
Wed Jan 10 23:51:39 UTC 2024

National Federation of the Blind
San Francisco Chapter
Meeting Minutes
Meeting held on: Tuesday, January 10, 2024, 6:30 PM
Location: Zoom
1.	Call to Order and Introductions
Bobbi invited members to share their name, pronouns, any identities they would like to share and something they enjoy about braille.
*	Board members present: Bobbi Pompey, Christina Daniels, Laura Millar, Monica Wegner, Sara Hadsell, Serena Olsen
*	New member: Erik K
*	Members: Jeanette T , Steven Sanith, Sherri Albers, Tarin, Jeff Buckwalter, Lisa Irving
2.	Reports
a.	Secretary's Report
*	Monica reported that she emailed the minutes of the November 2023 meeting to the listserv.
*	Monica announced that she would be stepping down from the board after the February 2024 meeting. An election for the remaining year of Monica's term will be held during February elections.
*	A motion was made and carried to approve the Secretary's report.
b.	Treasurer's report
*	Sara delivered the treasurers report. Reported bank balance is $1016.60.
*	Sara thinks we no longer need to transfer funds monthly to Venmo to keep our account fee free.
*	Membership Dues for 2024 are now due. Dues need to be received by our February meeting in order for a member to vote, nominate or be nominated to the board.
*	Annual dues are $10 and are payable in January. If anyone wants to pay dues and is using PayPal or Venmo please use this information to pay:
Sara Hadsell, 510-387-0766, SaraAHadsell at gmail.com.
The address for payment of checks is 585 9th St, Oakland, CA 94607. If paying by PayPal, you must do it on a computer, which is where you can select that you are paying a friend, rather than purchasing an item. The PayPal phone app is set up for commercial purchases.
*	A motion was made and carried to approve the Treasurer's report.
c.	Presidential release recap
Laura summarized President Riccobono's monthly presidential release. A transcript of the release was not available at the time of the chapter meeting. However, as long as the website uses a consistent link format, the transcript of the release should be available at < https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases/transcripts/presidential-release-534> shortly.
d.	Legislative report
*	Monica gave an overview of the legislative priorities for the upcoming Washington Seminar. The fact sheets can be located at https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar
*	Bobbi spoke about the US Department of Transportation's request for comments on upcoming rulemaking with respect to the service animal forms required for air travel. The notice can be found at <http://tiny.cc/ht1zvz>
3.	Chapter announcements
a.	State convention:
*	The NFB of California Convention will take place on March 14 through 17 in Sacramento. As of our meeting, the registration details had not been published but are expected shortly. This will be a hybrid in-person online convention.
*	Bobbi will be in charge of the hospitality suite. It is a place where new folks can come, ask questions, and get oriented. If you would like to volunteer for shifts to greet people and be one of the friendly faces, Please let Bobbi know. Shifts will be a time commitment of at least an hour but that is still being finalized. Serena and Lisa volunteered to take shifts.
*	All of the chapters have been asked to submit auction baskets. This is a fund raiser for the affiliate. Bobbi is looking for an auction basket coordinator. This can be an in-person or online basket.
*	Lisa and Christina volunteered to coordinate an online basket.
b.	National Convention
*	The National Convention will take place from July 3rd through July 8th in Orlando Florida at the Rosen Center hotel. Hotel rates are $129 for single and double rooms and $149 for triple and quads. There is a 13.5% tax and a $146 deposit. To reserve, call 800-204-7234.
*	If you are a first time attendee, you can apply for the Kenneth Jernigan scholarship through April 15th. The online application is available at https://nfb.org/form/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scho.
*	If you are a student and would like to apply for the NFB scholarship, applications are now open. See <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
c.	Elections
*	Our chapter elections will take place at our regular meeting on February 13th, 2024. Members must have paid dues to participate in the elections process.
*	Positions being elected are our President, First Vice President and Second Vice President for a term of two years. We will also elect the vacant Secretary and Board Member positions for their remaining one year term.
d.	Social Gathering
*	Bobbi thanked those that organized the holiday party.
*	As we have our meetings virtually, we plan a regular social gathering.
*	Bobbi will plan a gathering in April. Christina and Monica volunteered to assist.
e.	Member announcements
*	Sherri announced that Lighthouse is holding an autonomous vehicle discussion on February 8th. More information can be found at <https://lighthouse-sf.org/2024/01/10/lighthouse-vision-zero-autonomous-vehicle-forum-is-february-8/>
*	Laura reminded us that we have a Facebook page. It can be found at https://www.facebook.com/nationsblindsf.
*	Serena is leaning hard into her job search for culinary work. She is looking for contacts in the business.
*	Lisa's internship is ending this month and she needs a job. She is great with seniors and is quite flexible. Feel free to call, text or PM Lisa.
4.	Bell Ringers: Laura's website is up at <http://www.lauramillar.com/>.
5.	Adjourn: A motion was made and passed to adjourn the meeting.