[NFBSF] Video from tonight: Carrie Buck Fellowship, consent, sexual ableism, and APHA

Laura Millar laura at lauramillar.com
Wed Sep 9 08:03:05 UTC 2026


Hi everyone,

I wanted to follow up on something I shared during tonight's chapter
meeting bell ringers.

Last year, I was selected as a Carrie Buck Distinguished Fellow through the
Lurie Institute for Disability Policy at Brandeis University. As part of
that fellowship, I worked on questions of bodily autonomy, consent,
sexuality, ableism, and disability, including the continuing legacy of Buck
v. Bell.

I learned this week that the short video Brandeis created about my
fellowship work, "Carrie Buck Fellowship 2025: Autonomy, Consent, and
Sexual Ableism," has been accepted into the American Public Health
Association conference film festival. It will be screened at APHA on
November 3 from 12:30 to 2:00 PM.

A few people asked me tonight to share the video, so here is the
audio-described and captioned version:

https://youtu.be/M0PFZh_4Ysk?si=ThvDJ2nSEK8GoRga

I am especially excited that this work is reaching a public health audience
because disability, bodily autonomy, consent, and sexual health are public
health issues. The history of Buck v. Bell is not just something that
happened in the past. Its legacy continues to matter when we talk about who
gets to make decisions about disabled people's bodies, sexuality,
healthcare, and lives.  Anyway, hope you enjoy thanks for the support!


Laura


More information about the NFBSF mailing list