[NFBV-Alexandria] September's chapter activity: Horticulture and Urban gardening

BrianMiller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 15:37:17 UTC 2017

Dear members of the Greater Alexandria Chapter,

I am working on putting together our chapter activity for September, which I hope to schedule soon. Likely dates for the activity would be September 23 or 24, or September 30 or October 1. During one of our meeting discussions on possible chapter activities, several of you expressed interest in learning more about urban gardening and horticulture in general. A colleague and friend of mine from work is a certified master gardener and is willing to put together an activity for us where we could learn tips about gardening and horticulture. This would take place at the Fairlington Community Center (address to follow later).

I told her I would solicit questions and topics from the chapter to help her construct a lesson plan that would be of interest to us. Here is how she responded:

“Yes! Please forward to me whatever feedback you receive.    I am thinking right now maybe a general introductory course on container gardening.  Some basics etc.  I am also thinking that since we are moving into the Fall—I can concentrate on fall foliage, example mums and houseplants.  However, if I can work some herbs in that would be great—however maybe we can do a follow up session in the spring and just do herbs then??  We’ll talk about it.  Let’s first get the feedback and I will look into what we have cooking at the nursery.”

I also told her I wanted this to be an opportunity to get our hands dirty, so no just sitting there listening to someone talk to us about gardening. She was totally on board with that notion!

Please forward me any thoughts and suggestions for topics or things about which you would like to learn more. If you could please get me your feedback on this activity within the next ten days, that would be terrific.

I think this will be and exciting and unique opportunity for us to make our thumbs just a little bit greener.

And don’t forget, board meeting this coming Thursday evening, August 31 – dialing instructions to follow shortly.

Thanks,

Brian R. Miller, Ph.D.

President

The Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFB of Virginia