[NFBV-Alexandria] Minutes from the May chapter board meeting

BrianMiller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 20:37:48 UTC 2017

Good evening,

I apologize, but I can't recall if I sent the minutes to the board meeting
from May 25.

They appear below and are attached as well.

Thank you,

Brian Miller

President

Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFB of Virginia

Minutes of the Board meeting for the Greater Alexandria Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind

May 25, 2017

Start time: 7:30 p.m.

In attendance:  Brian Miller, Evelyn Valdez, Renee Valdez, Andre Tynes,
Wanda Taylor, and Terri Nettles.

The Meeting was held via teleconference call and called to order at 7:35
p.m. by President Brian Miller.

Brian first reviewed the Chapter checklist.  He announced we are almost near
to completing the items on the list.  Terri will contact the National office
as well as Gary Wunder regarding the formation of the Greater Alexandria
Chapter.

Andre and Brian are currently working on opening a bank account for the
chapter and also getting a tax ID number.  Terri will be the back up person
for posting to the listserv in the event Brian is not able.  We talked about
setting up a FaceBook page and Brian will ask Jeremy if he would do it.

Brian then discussed setting up a three month cycle for meeting; The first
month meeting physical meeting, the second a board meeting via
teleconference also inviting members to join, and the third month an
activity.  It was decided We would meet the fourth Thursday of the month.
Brian suggested the June activity would be a tour of the National Cathedral
which Franklin will arrange.

We talked about the Tall ship tour for Saturday May 27 and where to meet for
the tour.

For the July meeting, Brian said Vice-Mayor Justin Wilson could come, And
that Bonnie O'day will be arranging this.  He hopes to get the Mayor to come
sometime in the Fall.

Evelyn spoke on voting in the primary election on June 13.  She said all
machines will be accessible.  The offices are for Governor and Lt. Governor.
She encouraged all to get out there and vote.  If there is any problems with
voting she gave two resources to contact:  Alexandria.gov/elections and
phone:  vote411.  Brian also let us know you can do early voting if need be.

Then the board discussed
Way Finding Signs in Old Town.  We were brainstorming ways to make them
accessible and take to the city council.

Since Jeremy was not present, Brian highlighted vision zero.  Jeremy will be
attending a meeting in July and will give further information to us later.

Wanda mentioned the tactile astronomy   presentation given at the Alexandria
Talking Book Library.  Terri will talk to Kym Robertson to see if her
husband would be interested in giving his presentation at the State
Convention in November.

Renee brought up a question from a group she attended with the Virginia
Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired.  Could signs be put up in an
area where a blind resident lives notifying cars there is a blind
pedestrian?  There was discussion on this and suggested that this would
single out the blind person.  Perhaps would be better to approach it as a
overall pedestrian concern.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:42 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Terri Nettles, Secretary