[NFBV-Alexandria] A few Greater Alexandria chapter updates

BrianMiller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 01:21:05 UTC 2017

Dear members of the Greater Alexandria chapter of the NFB,

I hope everyone had a lovely Memorial Day weekend. I just wanted to share a few quick updates.

On May 25, at 7:30pm, we held a board meeting via teleconference. Terri Nettels, our chapter secretary is preparing notes for distribution to the chapter shortly.

On Saturday, May 27, a half dozen or so of us met at the pier at the end of Cameron street in Old Town Alexandria for a tour of the tall ship “El Galeon.” The Galeon is a replica of a sixteenth century galleon ship that the Spanish used to transport silks and spices and other valuables from Manilla across the Pacific to Acapulco, where goodies were off-loaded, carried across Mexico, and loaded on to another set of galleons heading back to Cadis, Spain. Meanwhile, the Galleons would load up tons of silver in Acapulco to sail back across the Pacific to buy all those lovely things from Chinese and Philippine merchants. The crew of this replica are all Spanish volunteers, and one of them showed us around the ship for over an hour, and let us duck behind the ropes and touch many of the artifacts that otherwise remain off-limits to guests.

In June the chapter activity will be a guided tour of the National Cathedral in Washington DC. Franklyn Riley is organizing this event and will have information about a time and date soon, but we expect it will be on a Saturday late in the month. Stay tuned!

I am excited to announce that for our July meeting, the vice mayor of Alexandria, Justin Wilson, will join us to share updates from the city budget and take our questions. Many thanks to Bonnie O’day who reached out to councilman Wilson and arranged this visit. Our July meeting will take place on Thursday, July 27, at 7:30pm in the clubhouse at the Carlyle Place Apartments. Reminders and more details will be sent around as the date draws closer.

I hope everyone who is going to national convention in July takes advantage of early registration – the last day to do so is tomorrow, May 31. You can register at https://convention.nfb.org/

 If you are going to be in Orlando,  I encourage you to sign up to work at the Virginia booth in the exhibit hall. You can do so by contacting Robert Parsons at rob.parso3389 at gmail.com

Have a great week, and do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Miller, Ph.D.

President, NFB Alexandria chapter