[NFBV-Alexandria] FW: Requesting chapter member assistance to reduce pedestrian and bicycle accidents

BrianMiller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:48:33 UTC 2017

Our fellow chapter member, Bob Hart, has asked me to forward the below message to the chapter. Some of you might recall Jeremy’s presentation on this earlier this year, and vice-mayor wilson’s discussion of it at our July meeting.

Thanks,

Brian Miller

President

GAC/NFBV

Brian – Can you forward the email below to our chapter members?  It explains the city’s Vision Zero initiative and gives a link to an accessible petition our chapter members can sign onto.  The petition asks the city to give higher priority to implementation of its Vision Zero initiative, which would  reduce traffic accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists.  Note that our own Jeremy is on the list of those who have been injured in past accidents.  Jeremy and I are involved with the city’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (abbreviated BPAC), and we would be happy to answer any questions about this at tonight’s chapter meeting.

Thank you,

Bob

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:31 AM
Subject: (Members BPAC) Action Request: Tell Alexandria: We want Vision Zero Now

Hi all –

The numbers of people walking who have been crashed into by motor vehicles in Alexandria has steadily increased in the past two years with four people killed and nearly additional 90 pedestrians struck and injured in 2016, and many streets are also increasingly dangerous for people riding a bike. Please join Alexandria Families for Safe Streets (AFSS) in telling Alexandria leadership that it is time to reverse those trends and take immediate action to achieve zero traffic fatalities and serious injuries in Alexandria. AFSS is a broad coalition of concerned citizens for street safety, and a voice for people whose lives, and whose families’ lives, have been impacted by traffic crashes. Please sign AFSS’ petition here: http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2041/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=21170.

Appreciate your also forwarding this note  to others in your networks, asking those that are Alexandria residents to sign the petition.

Thanks so much,

Jim

Jim Durham, 703-508-0762 (mobile)

Chair, Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee

Website <https://alexandriabpac.wordpress.com/> , Google Group <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/alexandriabpac> , Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alexandria-Bicycle-and-Pedestrian-Advisory-Committee/112205025523158>