[Nfbv-announce] Climb of Mount Kilimanjaro

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 15:30:25 UTC 2010

A note of interest from Casey Werderman:

Friends and Family-

I have mentioned to many of you that I will be taking my first vacation in
four years and will be heading to Tanzania, Africa on Dec. 9th to climb Mt.
Kilimanjaro with my friend, Philippe Polman.  In the past I have had the
opportunity to climb throughout the Himalayas in Northern Pakistan and
Nepal, but this will be the first time in a while that I will be venturing
back overseas to summit a monster.

Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest free standing mountain in the world,
towering 15,100ft over the Tanzanian savannah and has an elevation of 19,340
ft.  While not an extremely technical climb it is the sheer altitude that is
that cause of many failed attempts.  Being as competitive as we both are, we
have decided to take the least used and most difficult route called the
Umbwe Route.  This route has the lowest rate of completion and while usually
done in seven days, we will be completing it in six because of time
restraints.  A fun article on our climb was recently published on the
University of Richmond website
http://news.richmond.edu/features/article/as/3355/alumni-adventurers-set-sig
hts-on-africas-highest-peak.html

For our climb we are partnering with an Organization called the Kilimanjaro
Blind Trust (KBT) (http://www.kilimanjaro-blindtrust.org).  The KBT was
inspired by a group of blind climbers that ascended Mt. Kilimanjaro in 2005
and were lead by my climbing partner's father as well as Erik Weihenmayer
(internationally renowned blind climber that has climbed all seven summits).
The goal of the KBT is to invest in programs and projects which improve the
lives and opportunities of blind children in East Africa (Tanzania, Kenya
and Uganda), thereby helping them to lead more fulfilling lives.

By partnering with the KBT we have committed to raising $8,000 and we would
sincerely appreciate any help that you could be in supporting us in reaching
that goal.  To donate please visit our webpage at
http://support.perkins.org/site/TR?pg=fund
<http://support.perkins.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1061&pxfid=1420>
&fr_id=1061&pxfid=1420 and feel free to forward this on to anyone that you
think might have an interest.  Thanks in advance for your support!

I will be sure to keep you updated as we prepare to venture overseas and
hope this finds you all doing well.

Charles "Casey" Werderman

Legislative Assistant

Senator Thomas K. Norment, Jr.