[Nfbv-announce] October NFBV of Fairfax Chapter Newsletter

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:24:59 UTC 2010

 Dear Members and Friends:

This is the October 2010 newsletter of the Fairfax Area Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia. There is lots and lots of
exciting information below along with a copy of the Red Lobster menu at the
end of this newsletter. This issue has so much information, it is necessary
to have a table of contents. That way, you won't accidently miss any
important stuff!

In this issue:
.	The next Fairfax Chapter meeting is Thursday, October 21, 2010. This
Month's Program: We will be visited by a local historian who will tell us
about the very long history of Fairfax City and about the blind Mayor who
made it all happen
.	Chapter Elections
.	A Speech from the 2009 Fairfax Chapter Low Vision Fair
.	Meeting Location
.	Information About the 2010 NFBV State Convention to be Held in Falls
Church
.	Speakers Available to Present at other Organizations
.	NFB Pledge
.	Red Lobster Menu Choices

This Month's Program:
As far as history goes, Fairfax City and the surrounding area is as rich as
you can find anywhere in the New World. At our October meeting, we will be
hearing from a local historian from the American Legion who will tell us
about that rich history as well as about the blind Mayor whose strategic
decisions several decades ago still affect us today.
Come learn something new about the area as well as having any questions you
may have answered at our next meeting.

2010 Chapter Elections:
The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was founded over
a dozen years ago. During that time, the chapter has gained a reputation
both locally and nationally as an outstanding community resource.

This is to announce that for the November elections of new officers, we are
looking for those who have a desire to help continue the chapter's legacy of
excellence. All offices are open for nominations. The offices are:
President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and two board positions.

If you are interested in learning about the responsibilities and rewards of
any of these offices, please approach either John Bailey (703.994.2040) or
Cathy Schroeder (703.319.9226) to have your questions answered.

A speech Made at the 2009 Fairfax Chapter Low Vision Fair:
In January of 2009, The Fairfax Chapter of the NFB hosted a day long
Low-Vision resource fair which was held at our local library. We had over 80
attendees and were able not only to promote the chapter, but to bring
together other service providers for those in need.

The event came about through the efforts of Bridget Doherty who has been a
longtime friend of the chapter. She saw the need to bring service providers
and the community together in order to assist those in need.

I was one of the introductory speakers and I was proud to have Bridget
introduce me. Below is a transcript of that speech.
Introducer Bridget:
Our next speaker is John Bailey who is, as you know, the president of the
Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind.  He is a tremendous
leader in our organization, but I also hope that in the midst of sharing
with you a little bit more about what NFB does, he shares just a moment of
what he does in his other non-volunteer life.  Most of us who are on this
agenda today are visually impaired ourselves or blind, and are out in the
work world doing our thing, so without further ado, I introduce John Bailey,
our chapter president of NFB of Fairfax.
John Bailey:
I would like to start off by telling a true story.  It is a story of two
women, they were both seniors, about in their 80s, and they both had macular
degeneration. They both did not know what they were going to do with the
rest of their lives.  They had worked their whole lives, they had become
independent, they had children, and now that they had lost their vision,
they thought "this is the end, everything I have worked for..where has it
gone now?"

One woman, her goal, what she was stopped from, what was really important to
her, was that she did not feel comfortable in the kitchen. She felt because
of her vision loss, it was a very dangerous place.  It was important for her
for her independence, what meant something to her, was to be comfortable in
that kitchen.  She contacted my organization and said can you help me feel
comfortable in my kitchen so I can cook for myself?  We get that question a
lot from all sorts of different people.   Volunteers from the NFBV went over
to her house and began labeling things for her and taught her systems for
how to set things, the temperature on the oven without being able to see it,
how to boil water.set the flame in just the right height without being able
to see it.all the things she thought she would never have again were gotten
back to her simply by just knowing a few techniques.  The way she got those
techniques was just by asking.
The other woman, Annette, with the same macular degeneration, she had much
higher goals.  She was ready for the second part of her life.  She felt very
strongly about her faith and she wanted to spread it even though she did not
have vision and could not drive any more.  She wanted to go to Africa and be
a missionary. I was impressed.  That was a great goal, but she needed some
skills.  She needed to know how to get around without sight.  She needed to
know how to organize things, how to be comfortable in herself, be
independent so that whatever happened to her, wherever she goes, she knew in
spite of her vision, she would be able to function and do everything she
wanted to do.  She did not immediately call the NFB, but she called around
and asked other organizations and found out there were training centers, one
particularly in Baltimore.
She went to Blind Industries and Services of Maryland and spent a better
part of the year there learning Braille skills, because she could not read
print any more.  She learned how to use a cane because she could not see
street signs anymore.  She learned how to cook in the kitchen even though
she could not see the flame and she could not read the numbers.
When she finished, she had all of those skills.  She was comfortable in
herself and she was ready to go to Africa.  The point of all of this is that
these people thought they had no options.  They don't have to be seniors,
they can be parents of blind children, people with retinitis pigmentosa, who
are in the prime of their lives, their prime earning years and all of the
sudden, they discover they have vision loss, and the people around them,
their coworkers, their boss, even their doctors, do not have any answers on
how they would be able to continue to function. By reaching out to
organizations, getting information, talking to people who have been where
you currently are will introduce you to options you have no idea you had.
By learning what your options are, you will be able to make choices and be
able to gain back independence that you think you had lost.
Let me tell you a bit about my chapter, The National Federation of the
Blind, the Fairfax Chapter.  This is our tenth anniversary and we are
composed of all different kinds of people.  At our last chapter meeting,
there were 4 parents of blind children.  There are totally blind people, we
have low vision people, young people, and we are all there for fellowship
and information, and if someone comes with a question, there is usually
someone else there who can answer that information.
As Bridget said, many of the people here who are talking to you have low
vision.  I heard a phrase on the radio, I think maybe Bridget mentioned it
to me, I too am a macular degeneration.  My form of macular degeneration
started when I was 8 years old though. I did not have to wait until I was
80.  Doctors told me it was extremely rare and then my sister got the same
condition.  In this case, we did not want to feel that special, so I have
had low vision and most of my life up until 10 years ago, I passed for
sighted.  I tried to do everything the sighted way, because I did not know
any other way.  All my vision teachers said use what sight you have, make
the print larger even though in school I would read slower, my work
suffered, all that stuff, I had to do things the vision way because I did
not know any other way.
Well, I made it through and I got a very good job.   I do computer
programming for government agencies and all of the sudden my vision did what
people had been expecting it to do, and I had thought it was not going to do
it, I lost a lot of vision all at once.  I had to start using a cane.  I
could not pretend any more.  I could not read the screen no matter how large
I magnified it, I could not make sense of it, and I could not make sense of
it in a timely way.  Because I am in a working environment, you have to be
able to do your job.
This is a true story.  I was really frustrated.  I went to my manager and
said, "I have been doing this very a very long time, I really like being a
programmer, I really have no idea what I can do, maybe I can be a manager?"
We talked about it, but it was just then 10 years ago, I had just turned 40,
I went to my first chapter meeting for the National Federation of the Blind.
It was across the street, literally across the street, literally across a
lightly traveled street.  I did not have any excuses for not going across
that street.  Everything was always too far.  I could not take a bus by
myself.  I did not want to take a cab; that was expensive.  I did not want
to have anyone drive me.  I just felt terrible, so I was pretty much
landlocked other than going to work and staying at home.  That was about it.
I started going to meetings and it took a while.  I was very uncomfortable.
I had to face some truths.  I was blind.  I had some vision, but for
practical purposes, I'm blind and that hurt because of everything I had
heard before.  I told my mother when I was 40, and she cried like it was her
failure.  That was a big hurdle to overcome, but because I had a support
group and there are many different support groups, this particular group
happened to be the National Federation of the Blind. I found out I did have
options and I got my confidence back.  It was not important any more that I
did things just like the other sighted people.  I realized what was
important was that I did as well as they did, but I just did things
differently, and that is okay.  So if I use speech software.that is fine.
If I learned Braille. that's fine.  There is nothing wrong.  If I used a
cane.well that was harder. My wife reminds me, I think I blanked this out,
when I first started using a cane, she kept reminding me "take your cane,
take your cane."   I was like, "Hey, I guess I left it somewhere."  Now it
is second nature, I do not feel comfortable without my cane.  I have
literally been around the world since then.
The point is. I asked, I found people, and I found I had options, and
because I learned I had options, I got my independence back.  So like Marry,
Annette, and myself, I invite you to ask questions.  If there is something
bothering you, if there is something you feel you are missing; if you are
afraid of the kitchen; if you are wondering how can I take care of my kids
when I cannot see, there are techniques for keeping track of your kids when
you cannot see.  There are answers because there are people who have been
there before you and who have overcome those challenges.

Meeting Location:
For the October 21, 2010 meeting, we will be gathering in the banquet room
at the Fairfax City Red Lobster, located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard. They
can be reached at (703) 691-1011. Their website is
http://www.redlobster.com. Those who wish to join us for dinner should
arrive at 6:30 p.m. The formal meeting will begin promptly at 7:00p.m. And
run till 9:00 p.m. We will be meeting in the banquet room at the restaurant.
A copy of the menu is at the bottom of this newsletter. If you need
transportation assistance from the Vienna Metro Station, please contact
Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder at (703) 319-9226. We want to make
sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting is able to do so. Please give
Cathy several days notice if you will need a ride. Otherwise, we cannot
promise anything.

State Convention Information: National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
State Convention by Michael Kasey, NFB Vigilant - Spring 2010      The 2010
NFBV Convention will be held in Falls Church November 12-14, 2010. This may
prove to be the most attended convention in our history!  It must be the
largest hotel we have ever had a state convention. The hotel address is:
Marriott Fairview Park, 3111 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA,
22042(703) 849-9400 or (800) 228-9290. The rate for a room is $65 per night
(plus tax). The same low rate is also available one day prior to and one day
after the convention for those who wish to continue enjoying the hospitality
of the city. There is much more to come. Stay tuned!

Speakers Available to Present at other Organizations: If you belong to a
group that would like to have a program where your members can learn about
low-vision and blindness, there are several excellent presenters who are
members of the Fairfax Chapter who would be pleased to talk with you. For
more information about hosting a program, contact John Bailey at
703.994.2040 or via e-mail at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com.

Pledge: I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

Red Lobster Menu Choices: Freshly baked  Cheddar Bay Biscuits; Garden or
Caesar salad (add petiteshrimp for99) or  coleslaw. With the exception of
pastas, entres also come with: Your  choice of fresh broccoli, home-style
mashed potatoes, wild rice pilaf,baked  potato or fries. Substitute One of
Our Premium Sides Fresh  Asparagus Seasonal. 2.25 additional Creamy
Lobster-Topped Baked Potato  Withlangoustine lobster meat. 3.99 additional
Creamy Lobster-Topped  MashedPotatoes With langostino lobster meat. 3.99
additional Add to Any  MealSteamed Snow Crab Legs1/2 pound served with
melted butter. 7.50  Steamed King Crab Legs 1/2 poundserved with melted
butter. 9.99 Know someone

Who loves seafood? The Red Lobster Gift Card makes a great gift. Buy Gift
Cards Online Enjoy a New England Lobster  Baked at home. We'll deliver it
fresh to your door. Buy Live Lobster Online Savor More of the Sea on Mondays
and Tuesdays CrabCrackin' Monday Join us every Monday for sweet snow crab
legs. 1 pound 15.501 1/2 pounds 19.50 2 pounds 23.50 Shrimp Lover's Tuesday.
Enjoy lots of delicious shrimp on Tuesdays! Fried shrimp, scampi, coconut
shrimp bites or popcorn shrimp. Any Three12.75Any Four 16.25 *These menu
items are cooked to the level of doneness you request. Consuming raw or
undercooked meats or shellfish may increase your risk of food borne illness.
Seaside Shrimp Trio Seaside Shrimp Trio Agenerous sampling of our Walt's
Favorite Shrimp, savory garlic shrimp scampiand shrimp linguini Alfredo.
17.50 Ultimate Feast® Ultimate Feast® A tender Maine lobster tail, steamed
snow crab legs, garlic shrimp scampi and Walt's Favorite Shrimp.25.25
Admiral's Feast Admiral's Feast Walt's Favorite Shrimp, bay scallops, clam
strips and flounder fried to a golden brown. 16.99 Create Your Own Feast
Choose Any Two 16.50 Choose Any Three 20.50Garlic-Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Seafood-Stuffed Flounder Parrot Bay Jumbo Coconut Shrimp Walt's Favorite
Shrimp Grilled Salmon Shrimp Linguini Alfredo Crab Linguini Alfredo Garlic
Shrimp Scampi Steamed Snow Crab Legs Grilled Sirloin Steak* (3.75
additional)