[Nfbv-announce] Remembering the milestones as the NFB moves forward- A History

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:39:44 UTC 2011

Hello All,
In the last few years, the blind In our country have achieved so much in
terms of equal access to education, employment, and public acceptance. The
future looks even brighter as the NFB continues the movement toward
increased opportunities for the blind.

In order to truly appreciate what we all have been able to accomplish
together, it is a good idea to look back and remind ourselves of the way
things used to be not so long ago. There was a time when sheltered workshops
were the norm for employment and the state organization of the blind had a
say in whom you could marry or you could risk losing your job and your
benefits.

As part of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia's fiftieth
Anniversary in 2008, our First Vice President Seville Allen created a
document chronicling the hurdles we have overcome in Virginia and those
blind leaders who paved the way for our organization.

Attached is the document Seville wrote. It should be read by anyone who has
shared in the social and economic benefits spearheaded by the largest
consumer organization of the blind in the country-- the NFB.

John Bailey
Membership Committee Chair
John_bailey17 at hotmail.com