[Nfbv-announce] 2011 McDonald Fellowships to National Convention in Orlando

Tracy Soforenko PotomacNFB at verizon.net
Tue Feb 22 05:00:51 UTC 2011

 2011  McDonald Fellowships  to National Convention

by Tracy Soforenko

E-mail:

PotomacNFB at verizon.Net

This year, we will celebrate  our NFB National Convention in beautiful
Orlando, Florida. The convention will  be more magical if you are there to
join us.

Many of those who have attended our national NFB  convention are amazed at
how seeing, meeting, and interacting with over 3000  other blind and low
vision convention attendees has literally changed their  lives. They not
only experience how the problems of vision loss can be overcome, but they
also experience the confidence that can come with it.

The  McDonald Fellowship program was established in 1998 in order to: a)
assist those who have never attended a convention of the National Federation
of  the Blind (NFB) before, or b) financially assist those who have
demonstrated a  commitment to our organization and who are unable to afford
the costs of  attending a national convention.

Robert and  Marian McDonald  selflessly contributed to our Virginia
affiliate to further the progress and better the lives of those who are
blind,  visually impaired, and low vision in Virginia. In their honor,  we
recognize the personal benefits that come to people who attend a national
convention for the first time. In their memory, the National Federation of
the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) continues their legacy of education and
empowerment to Virginia's blind citizens.

This year the goal of the McDonald Fellowship program is to issue  four
McDonald Fellowship awards each in the amount of $ 600.00. These funds will
be awarded to assist each fellowship recipient in covering the cost of
attending our  2011  NFB National Convention to be held in  Orlando,
Florida , the week of July 3 through July 8. This event will take place at
the  absolutely remarkable Rosen Shingle Creek   Resort in Orlando, Florida
.

We will link each of our fellowship winners up with mentors who will assist
them in getting the most out of their national convention experience.
Preference will be given to McDonald Fellowship applicants who have not
previously attended a national convention.

As part of the Fellowship application requirements, McDonald Fellowship
winners are asked to attend the entire NFB convention and write an article
about their experiences for the Vigilant (the newsletter of the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia) upon their return from convention.
Winners will also have an opportunity to address our  2011  NFB of Virginia
state convention.

Deadline for applications for the McDonald Fellowship is April 15, 2011  .
Winners will be announced May 17 ,  2011.   We ask that applicants write a
brief letter of application outlining their reasons why they should be
considered for a Fellowship. Preference will be given to applications from:
those who have never attended a NFB National Convention before; those who
have demonstrated commitment to the NFBV organization by their participation
in either chapter or state activities over the past year; and by those
applicants who include pertinent supporting information that will help in
our selection process (e.g. letters of support from chapter presidents).

There is no specific format for the application.

E-mailed applications or questions about the Fellowship program should be
sent to Tracy soforenko, Chairman, McDonald Fellowship Committee, by e-mail
at PotomacNFB at verizon.net or by phone at 703.635.2085.