[Nfbv-announce] HB1291 A Bill To Consolidate Disability Agencies

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Tue Feb 14 14:57:01 UTC 2012

>From Fred Schroeder, President:

As you know, HB1291, a proposal to consolidate a number of disability
related agencies, has been making its way through the General Assembly.
There have been a number of similar proposals introduced in the past, and in
some cases, the consolidation plans have included combining the Department
for the Blind into a larger agency. While we were initially relieved that
this  year's consolidation plan did not include merging the Department for
the Blind, during our visit to Richmond last month, we emphasized the
importance of maintaining separate services for the blind.

last evening, after the second reading of HB1291, Delegate Landes  offered a
floor amendment to include the Department for the Blind in the list of
agencies that would be a part of the newly created disabilities agency.
Unfortunately, in spite of our visits and follow-up supporting
documentation, the amendment passed 95 to 0.

Time is very short, and the purpose of this note is to let you know that we
may need to muster a group of Federationists to travel to Richmond tomorrow
or Thursday to speak with our Senators and to be a visible reminder that the
blind of Virginia will not go quietly into a consolidated generic agency. As
plans develop, I will keep you informed, but in the meantime, please think
about whether you might be able to travel to Richmond later this evening or
tomorrow.