[Nfbv-announce] Christopher Fountain Remembrance

Jeffords, Nicole (DBVI) Nicole.Jeffords at dbvi.virginia.gov
Wed Jun 13 23:24:21 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone:
As National Convention draws near, I would like to share the essay that was written by Christopher Fountain, a wonderful, warm, bright, witty and brave young man who won a National Scholarship at last year's Convention and tragically passed away shortly after returning home to Virginia.  Christopher had so very much to give to the NFB and the blindness community at large.  Please take a moment to read this inspiring testimony and just a piece of the legacy Christopher left behind.

My name is Christopher Fountain and I am a person who is blind. Although society wants to label me as a blind person,  I refuse to be labeled by my disability. I prefer  to say that I am finding my way in the dark without a flashlight.  Throughout my life I have equipped myself with tools that have helped me navigate life's obstacles, such as becoming an Eagle Scout, perusing advanced education, developing an excellent support system, and having the courage and humility to try new things.  Recently I have added two new tools to help me navigate through life; a white cane and membership in the National Federation of the Blind (NFB).
My white cane is a simple apparatus.  It is a white sixty-three inch fiber glass calendar with a metal tip.    The sighted have a hard time trying to understand the importance of my cane.  But for me it is not only an indicator that I am blind but it is a critical tool for achieving independence, freedom, and confidence to travel outside the home.
        The significance of my cane did not become apparent to me until last year.  I have been ill for the majority of my life and have recently been using a wheelchair.  I had been reliant on others to get around outside the home.  This limited my social life and class schedule.  This could no longer continue if I wanted to be self-reliant.  I made the commitment to take the spring semester off and attend the Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired to learn how to properly use this tool.  Over the past few months my confidence has grown to the point where I seek new challenges and I welcome the opportunity to test myself on different routes and in varied situations. My outlook on navigating outside the home has been greatly expanded.  As long as I have my cane I am confident I can find my way around anywhere.
        While my cane is a material apparatus, membership in the NFB has become a mental and inspirational means of guidance.  I became blind later in life and I continued with my life as I intended.  Unfortunately, some would lead me to believe that I was dreaming too big  because I wanted to educate myself and have a career.  Once I even received advice from a counselor who said "your best career option is folding pizza boxes."    This comment angered me, but it did not stop me from receiving my associate's degree with honors from Tidewater Community College.  After graduation  I took several years off from school to analyze the obstacles involved in continuing my education.    I was faced with  difficulty funding school, locating and receiving adaptive technology, and a general lack of understanding of  available resources.
        While I was weighing the pros and cons, someone suggested that I join the NFB.  This was an eye opening experience, because I no longer thought of myself as having unrealistic expectations for my life.  At my first meeting I met an assortment of other people who are blind and they had a variety of careers.  Furthermore last November I had the honor of attending my first NFB Virginia convention as a scholarship finalist.  That weekend I met even more people who are blind and successful in their careers.  This energized me to get more involved with the federation and increased my own expectations for myself.
        Before the convention I had education goals of receiving my masters in counseling and graduating in the top ten percent of my class, but I did not have  goals as a person who is blind.  Knowing others were navigating through the hotel with ease and speedily reading Braille gave me goals to achieve.  I have now set goals for myself which include; being an expert  at Braille , achieving full mobility, and sharing my story providing mentoring to others.
                In the future as a person who is blind I will continue to achieve because I see my blindness as an ability rather than a disability.  Living as a person who is blind takes skills and determination that most people with vision will never understand.  I will continue on my journey in the dark, but luckily my cane and NFB membership help to light the way.

Nikki Jeffords
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Regional Transition Coordinator
Virginia Dept. f/t Blind & Vision Impaired
Interstate Corporate Center, Bldg. #18
6325 N. Center Drive, Ste. 131
Norfolk, VA  23502
Direct :(757) 455-0856