[Nfbv-announce] Legislative Update House Conferees

Mark W. Roane mwroane at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 2 01:35:02 UTC 2012

Good evening all,
Now that all of the players are known for the Conference Committee on HB1291 and SB678, it is important that blind Virginians stay on their minds.  I would urge all of you to call & e-mail each of the House Conferees one last time to remind them of our position on the consolidation of DBVI.  It is important to note that the proposed consolidation was not recommended by the Governors Commission on Restructuring the Executive Branch of Government and is not what the House of Delegates Committee on General Laws passed.  The proposed consolidation is the work of Delegate Steven Landes of Verona who amended the bill on the floor of the House of Delegates.  When you contact them, tell them not to put the future of blind Virginians at risk simply because one individual thinks it is a good idea.  The House Conferees may be reached at:

Delegate Chris Jones of Suffolk
(804) 698-1076
delcjones at house.virginia.gov

Delegate Todd Gilbert of Woodstock
(804) 698-1015
deltgilbert at house.virginia.gov

Delegate Mathew James of Portsmouth
(804) 698-1080
del mjames at house.virginia.gov

Thanks to everyone for making calls and sending e-mails.  The resolution of this issue is only a few days away.  I know we are being heard and that together we will preserve a strong and independent agency for all blind Virginians.

Mark