[Nfbv-announce] MRI auditory study description

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Sep 24 19:47:34 UTC 2012

>From Maurice Peret [mailto:mauriceperet at gmail.com]

On 9/20/12, JK Kim <crossmodal.plasticity at gmail.com wrote:

 ---------

 *Participate in a paid research study on blindness!*

 *About the study*:

 The brain of blind individuals is different from that of the sighted
 in that part of the brain called the occipital cortex which normally
 processes visual information in the sighted is involved in processing
 of information gathered from other senses such as touch and hearing.
 This phenomenon, called crossmodal plasticity, is understood as
 changes resulting from long-term visual deprivation in the blind and
 has been shown in performance of non-visual tasks such as Braille
 reading, verbal tasks, shape discrimination, and sound localization.
 We hope to further our understanding of crossmodal plasticity by
 examining other behavioral domains that have not yet been
 investigated.  Findings of our studies will not only have potential
 implications for blindness rehabilitation but also contribute significantly
to our understanding of how the human brain works.

 We are currently looking for blind volunteers who would be interested
 in participating in the study that will examine melody processing in
 the blind, more specifically, how long-term visual deprivation affects
 the way blind people process sound in general and pitch in particular.
 This study will consist of one behavioral and one functional magnetic
 resonance imaging (fMRI) session.  During both of these sessions, you
 will be asked to listen to sequences of tones and make simple
 perceptual judgments on them.  Findings of this study will help
 understand superior pitch abilities that the blind possess compared to
 the sighted, and further knowledge on musical processing in the blind.

 Each of these sessions will last approximately 2 hours, and all the
 participants will be reimbursed for travel expenses (provided that
 they reside in areas of or nearby Washington, DC) and participation in
 the studies.  MRI has been shown to be a safe imaging technique as no
 known side effects have been reported.

 *Who we are looking for*: Blind individuals who are ages between 18
 and 65 and have no residual vision or light sensitivity.

 *Location*: The study will take place at the Medical Center of
 Georgetown University located in Washington DC.

 *Contact Us*: If you are interested, please email JK Kim at
 crossmodal.plasticity at gmail.com or call (202)687-4981