[Nfbv-announce] volunteer Assistance Needed at National Convention with Inter Hotel Bus

potomac NFB PotomacNFB at verizon.net
Tue Jun 4 03:36:02 UTC 2013

Hi Virginia Federationists

Michael Kasey and I need your help ensuring that our National convention
runs smoothly.  The Virginia Affiliate will be organizing the buses between
the two hotel properties and we need volunteer assistance.

Background:

Participation at this year's National Convention is very strong and we have
grown out of the Headquarters hotel, the Rosen Center hotel. Some
federationists will be staying at the Rosen Plaza hotel, about a 20 minute
walk away. Our National Office has arranged for a 50 passenger air
conditioned motor coach between the properties from 7:30 AM to 10:30 PM. The
bus will run until 11:30 on banquet night.

Our request:

We need volunteers to help in 3 different roles:

A)     Evening Bus Boarders: From 8:00 PM to 10:30 PM each evening, we will
need one individual at each of the two hotels to help ensure that people
know where to wait inside and do not need to wait outside in the heat. In
this role, you will receive a walkie talkie and when the bus leaves the
other property, you will check your watch. Ten minutes later, announce that
the bus is leaving and then you will walk your passengers to the bus stop.
Once the passengers are boarded and the bus pulls away, you use the walkie
talkie to tell your peer at the other property that it has left your
property. This is a 2.5 hour shift.

B)       Train UPS Volunteers - from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, we will have UPS
volunteers to work the shifts at the two convention properties. We need a
coordinator on each day to help train the new volunteers at the beginning of
each shift. Assuming a 4 hour shift, you would be responsible for training/
shift turn over for the following 3 shift changes:

a.       From 11:45 AM to 12:15 PM

b.      From 3:45 PM to 4:15 PM

c.       From 7:45 PM to our NFB Evening coordinators are in place around
8:15PM

Michael and I will cover the early morning shift between 7:30 AM and 8:00 AM
and will train the first set of UPS volunteers for the morning shift.

Throughout the convention, either Michael or I will be on call to address
any serious problem such as a missing or broken down bus, missing
volunteers, serious frustration from a convention participant, etc.

In summary, we are asking you to email or call me with your willingness to
take either an evening volunteer shift or a full day of UPS Volunteer
training. Please include your preferred day.

For those people staying in the Rosen Plaza hotel, this role is essential to
ensure a successful convention experience. We are grateful for your
willingness to participate in this important responsibility.

Tracy Soforenko

Second Vice President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

PotomacNFB at verizon.net

202 285-4595