[Nfbv-announce] 1 week left to apply for the 2014 McDonald Fellowships to National Convention

Tracy Soforenko tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 02:32:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

Please be reminded that the deadline is April 15 for Virginia's McDonald
Fellowship program. Make this the year you attend your first NFB convention.

Individuals are encouraged to apply for both the National program and this
Virginia specific program.

2014 McDonald Fellowships to National Convention

The 2014 NFB National Convention is a remarkable experience you do not want
to miss. The convention will be even better because you were there to
attend.  Many of those who have attended our national NFB  convention are
amazed at how seeing, meeting, and interacting with over 3000  other blind
and low vision convention attendees has literally changed their  lives. They
not only experience how the problems of vision loss can be overcome, but
they also experience the confidence that can come with it.

Robert and Marian McDonald selflessly contributed to our Virginia affiliate
to further the progress and better the lives of those who are blind,
visually impaired, and low vision in Virginia. In their honor, we recognize
the personal benefits that come to people who attend a national convention
for the first time. In their memory, the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia (NFBV) continues their legacy of education and empowerment to
Virginia's blind citizens.

We anticipate awarding fellowships to assist each fellowship recipient in
covering the cost of attending our 2014 NFB National Convention to be held
in Orlando, FL, from July 1 - July 6. Please note: The banquet ends late in
the evening on Sunday, July 6 and fellowship winners are expected to attend
the banquet so return travel must occur on Monday, July 7 or later. This
event will take place at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando Florida.

Consistent with our original goals, the  McDonald Fellowship program was
established in 1998 in order to: a)  assist those who have never attended a
convention of the National Federation of  the Blind (NFB) before, or b)
those who have not attended in years and wish to come to a convention again.

Details on financial assistance for all others are provided at the bottom of
this message.

We will link each of our fellowship winners up with mentors who will assist
them in getting the most out of their national convention experience. As
part of the Fellowship application requirements, McDonald Fellowship winners
are asked to attend the entire NFB convention and address our 2014 NFB of
Virginia state convention.

Deadline for applications for the McDonald Fellowship is April 15, 2014.
Winners will be announced May 15, 2014.

Your application should be in the form of a letter delivered via electronic
mail.  There is no specific form for the application.  We simply ask that
applicants write a brief letter of application outlining their reasons why
they should be considered for a Fellowship.

Your letter must include:

A)      Name, Address, phone and email contact information

B)      Chapter or connection  With the affiliate

C)      How you will benefit from the experience

D)     How you have participated with your chapter or the affiliate in the
past year

E)      Any other pertinent details

In addition, you are required to contact your Chapter President or an
affiliate Board Member for a letter of recommendation. Letters of
recommendation are due by Sunday, April 20, 2014.

E-mailed applications or questions about the Fellowship program should be
sent to Tracy Soforenko, Chairman, McDonald Fellowship Committee, by e-mail
at tracy.soforenko at gmail.com or by phone at 202 285-4595.

As agreed at the January 2014 NFBV Board Meeting, All others requesting
financial assistance should reach out first to their chapter presidents for
financial assistance. Requests to chapter presidents should be made by April
15, 2014. If the chapter cannot provide sufficient support to enable the
individual to attend, requests should be forwarded to NFBV President
Schroeder no later than May 15, 2014.

Make 2014 the year you attend the national convention.

Tracy Soforenko

McDonald Fellowship Chair

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

202 285-4595 (mobile)