[Nfbv-announce] Visit Volunteers for the Blind on April 26 during Walk with the Blind in Fredericksburg

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 12:20:04 UTC 2014

Dear Members and Other Friends,

Volunteers for the Blind (VFB) my 501 C 3 (non-profit tax exempt) business,
is on Caroline Street, a block from the end of the route our chapter will
walk April 26.

Normally, VFB is a service organization.  That entire weekend however,
especially the morning of our chapter's fund raising walk, VFB will be one
of many Caroline Street vendors.  We will hold one of our periodic fund
raising s.  I will give half the money from the sale to the Fredericksburg
NFB chapter as my contribution to its annual fund raising walk.

In addition, I will prepare two letters to be given at the walk as door
prizes.  Each person who receives one of these two letters will be entitled
to $25 of merchandise available at fund raising for sale in VFB's office.

Sale merchandise will include baked goods and handmade items.  The craft
items will include baskets, jewelry, adult hats and scarves as well as some
extremely appealing baby clothes.  Pam Ehrmann, one of our chapter members,
made some of the jewelry and almost all the baskets.  Marion Walensky, the
grandmother of a little boy who is blind, knitted the coasters.  Many of the
necklaces available came from Janet Caron, an NFB member from Connecticut
and Florida, who was legally blind.  I think of these pieces as her memorial
collection because just a few years ago, less than a month before the
national convention where she always sold her jewelry, she died at the age
of 79.  Many of us who knew he always thought she was much younger.  The
rest of the jewelry came from my Uncle jack who is well into his eighties.

He is retired and lives with his wife in las Vegas.  Many people find it
amusing to hear I have a real Uncle jack who lives in Las Vegas.  Uncle
jack's All Uncle Jack's items are reasonably priced and, I am told,
especially attractive in terms of color as well as texture.  All reasonably
priced.  My senior board member, member, who is a retired art teacher, says
Uncle jack's necklaces are especially attractive in terms of color.

Christopher Ehrmann and Kaitlynn Jordan, VFB's interns as well as two of our
Fredericksburg chapter members,  made Braille price tags for all the jewelry
as well as many of the knitted/crocheted items.

If it is cold, I will have hot spiced cider available in a croc pot.  If it
is warm, I will have cold cider in our little refrigerator.

I cordially invite everyone on the walk to stop in, even if you don't buy
anything.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call me either at
home at 540 899 7747 or at VFB, 540 899 8847.  Even when I am not at one
location or the other, both numbers have voicemail which I monitor
frequently.  Despite being less than 10 minutes apart by car, my office and
hem are on separate Verizon grids and have totally different telephone
systems.  Do not Please do not give up if you call the office.  The
voicemail connected with this more antiquated system takes 10 rings before
it intercepts calls.

I eagerly look forward to visiting with as many of you as possible April 26
at 1101 Caroline Street.  Our office is the first door on the left.  Anyone
who wishes to bake something, or contribute crafts items for the sale, is
welcome to do so.  Since VFB is 501 C 3, we can provide you a receipt for
tax purposes.

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.