[Nfbv-announce] Reminder - It's Time to Protest SourceAmerica

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Fri Aug 22 18:36:35 UTC 2014

Greetings all,

As you know, next Thursday is our protest against the payment of subminimum
wages. We need a strong showing from Virginia. Please do what you can to
attend the protest and bring friends and family along with you. I am trying
to get a count of how many Virginians will be there, so please let me know
if you are able to participate. Below is the original notice giving the
details of the event.

Hope to see you there.

Fred Schroeder,President

Make a difference today in the lives of blind children and adults by
donating your used vehicle to the National Federation of the Blind by
calling 1-855-659-9314

+++++

Hello all:

As you know, for some time the Federation has been working to have the
subminimum wage provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act removed. Under
the law, people with disabilities may be paid below the federal minimum
wage. It is an outdated, unfair system, and it is time it stops. We have
introduced a bill in Congress, H. R. 831, that will end, once and for all,
the exploitation of blind people and others with disabilities.

SourceAmerica (formally NISH) has been actively lobbying against HR 831.
SourceAmerica receives billions of dollars of noncompetitive contracts each
year, yet they say they cannot afford to pay workers with disabilities the
minimum wage. It's time for us to respond.  We will be conducting a protest
at SourceAmerica in Vienna on Thursday August 28 from 11 AM to 1:00 PM.  We
need SourceAmerica to understand that subminimum wages are unacceptable, and
the practice must end.  In order to have maximum impact, we need as many
people from the Virginia affiliate to attend as possible.

WHERE:

The protest will take place at SourceAmerica's National Office located at
8401 Old Courthouse Road in Vienna, Virginia.  It is walking distance from
the Greensboro Metro Station (Silver line).

The protest will be held on Thursday, August 28.

Time:

We plan to protest from 11AM-1PM.

We need as many members and friends as possible to participate to show that
blind people and others with disabilities deserve a full day's pay for a
day's work. Please let me know if you will be able to attend. You can write
me at:

fschroeder at sks.com

Please do what you can to help.

Fred Schroeder, President