[Nfbv-announce] How Do Blind People Shop for Groceries?

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 14:03:09 UTC 2015

How Do Blind  People Shop for Groceries?
by Heather Rasmussen NFB of Virginia

    Something I get asked once in a while is “How to blind people shop for groceries?”      Seeing as you cannot see where things are located in the store or what products are on the shelves, you are going to need sighted assistance of some kind.  Honestly the easiest way for you to handle this is to go shopping with a sighted friend or family member; it’s certainly more fun.    Unfortunately, this isn’t always an option.  In such cases, you have to handle your grocery shopping solo.  This is something that we, the National Federation of the Blind, know you are perfectly capable of doing.
    Upon reaching whatever store you want to shop at, you enter and go to the customer service counter.  You’ll then say something like “Hi, I’m blind.  Could I get someone to help me find some things?”  The associate will then get someone to help you.  You might just follow the employee along the aisles, hold the cart, or take their elbow—whatever you prefer.  When you’ve hopefully found everything on the list, the store employee will take you to the check-out line.  Then you can pay and head off!
Some associates are nicer, more polite, or know the store better than others.  Occasionally, you’ll have a rather irritable employee sent to assist you, or you will get a new associate who doesn’t know the store’s layout well yet.  These circumstances will be frustrating for both of you.  Usually though, the process goes smoothly.  If you shop at the same store frequently, the employees will get to know you and become more helpful.  You will even learn who’s best to work with so you can ask for them.  It’s best to go at a time when the store is less busy, and large grocery stores are often easier to find assistance at than smaller ones.  There you have it, the basics of how to shop for groceries as a blind person.

Did you find this article interesting?
Interested in how blind people have jobs, families, and live independently?
For additional information about the national federation of the blind of Virginia and its local chapters,, visit www.nfbv.org