[Nfbv-announce] Need blind and low-vision supplies? Check out our Independence Market at the NFB

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:31:08 UTC 2016

Independence Market
Some of our new members and friends may not be aware of the National Federation of the Blind Independence Market. The Independence Market is the conduit through which the National Federation of the Blind distributes our empowering literature to our members, their families, and the general public. Our literature shows how blind people can live the lives we want by helping us to raise expectations of ourselves.

Our Kernel Book series continues to be a popular public education tool. The stories written by our members about their everyday experiences with blindness let others know that we share the same hopes and dreams as the rest of the broader population and that we have the capability to live fulfilled lives by working productively, raising families, and engaging in our communities. In addition to reading our Kernel Books online, print copies can be requested from the Independence Market free of charge to share with others. We also have a few titles still available in Braille.

The Independence Market is also a source of low-tech blindness products that make everyday life easier and enhance the independence of the user. Products include Braille learning aids, Braille writing and labeling supplies, white canes for traveling independently, talking clocks and watches as well as Braille watches, clothing organizers and color detectors, kitchen and sewing aids, tactile and audio marking aids, board and card games, large-print recordkeeping and writing aids, magnifiers, medical devices, digital recorders, and much more.

You may learn more about what the Independence Market has to offer by visiting us online. There you can browse our e-commerce site and download our catalog. If you have questions, please contact the Independence Market either via email or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216. Our staff will gladly assist you Monday through Friday during regular business hours.