[Nfbv-announce] Join Us at the 2017 Richmond Seminar - Jan 16 - 17

Christopher Vinson chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 14:56:43 UTC 2016

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a powerful force
advocating for blind Virginians. Please join us for the Richmond Seminar on
January 16- 17, 2017 to ensure our voice is heard in the offices of the
General Assembly.

If you have never attended a Richmond Seminar, we strongly encourage you to
attend and participate in representative democracy in action. Everyone is
assigned to a team with an experienced leader. The General Assembly members
and their staff are very receptive and welcoming. They know we are
organized, articulate, and well versed in the subject matter. We will put
everyone on the team to work, sharing our issues and answering the
questions of legislators and their staff.

The issues we will bring to Richmond are still in flux but will most likely
include:

·         Access to travel independently without a driver’s license in
autonomous vehicles  being developed in Virginia

·         Blind Parents Bill of Rights

·         Defending Virginia’s Randolph Sheppard priority ; and

·         Support for Virginia Department of the Blind and Vision Impaired
(DVBI) as a separate agency.

The final list of issues will be presented at the board meeting.

We have bills being drafted that will need co-sponsors. Chapter Presidents
should make contact with their General Assembly members in their local
offices before the end of the year. If you need assistance in identifying
them, contact our Legislative committee Co-Chairs, Deepa Goraya and
Jeannette Gholson.

Deepa is best reached  at deepa.goraya at gmail.com or 909 964- 3699.

Jeannette is best reached at (804) 543- 0254.

A meeting with our elected legislators in their home districts will go a
long way in establishing the recognition that is needed for our visit to
Richmond. All Chapter members are encouraged to participate.

Our board meeting is scheduled for Monday afternoon , January 16 which is
Martin Luther King Day. The Board Meeting will likely be held on the DBVI
campus on Azalea Avenue in  Richmond but details will be worked out
shortly.

Our General Assembly visits will be Tuesday, January 17.

The affiliate will reimburse transportation expenses and hotel expenses.

Chapter presidents should arrange cost effective transportation for their
chapter members. Individuals are expected to share hotel rooms and must
obtain hotel reservations themselves at the NFB of Virginia rate. If you
need assistance identifying a room share, please contact Deepa or Jeanette.

Hotel rooms are available at the Crowned Plaza Hotel Downtown, 555 East
Canal Street, Richmond, VA 22319.

Crowne Plaza - Downtown Richmond

555 East Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219

January 16-17, 2017

Guest may begin making reservations at any time. They may do so by calling
the Crowne Plaza toll free reservations line at 855-472-7802 and asking for
the NFBV group block or by using the following booking link to make
reservations online: National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
<https://www.ihg.com/redirect?path=asearch&brandCode=6c&localeCode=en&regionCode=1&hotelCode=RICCS&checkInDate=16&checkInMonthYear=002017&checkOutDate=17&checkOutMonthYear=002017&rateCode=6CBARC&_PMID=99801505&GPC=FBV&viewfullsite=true>.
The
deadline to make reservations is January 4, 2017 The group rate is $99 plus
state and local sales tax (currently at 13.3%).

   - Guest will receive $10 off overnight parking.
   - check In is at 3 PM and Check Out is 12 PM.

Do not delay, book your room today.

Chapter presidents must provide the names of the individuals planning to
attend from their chapter to Deepa, Jeanette, and Tracy by Wednesday,
January 11, 2017 so we can establish teams in advance. If you have any
questions, please contact Tracy Soforenko at (703) 635-2085
<%28703%29635-2085> or tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

Tracy Soforenko

president, NFB of Virginia

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com