[Nfbv-announce] The Vigilant - June 2017

Tracy Soforenko tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 02:57:30 UTC 2017

The Vigilant - June 2017

Joe Orozco, Editor

>From the President's Desk

The Virginia affiliate is always driving great innovation and energy. This
past month has been no exception, and we  look forward to keeping up the
momentum in the weeks to come.

First, the Student Summer  Blowout, a leadership seminar designed to foster
leadership among student divisions in the Northeast, just completed with 10+
Virginians representing the largest contingent   Of students. Our thanks go
out to VABS President, Robert Parsons, and his board for cultivating the
greatest blindness student organization here in the commonwealth.

Second, the 2016 Virginia Leadership Fellows are meeting with President
Riccobono and other national leaders from June 15-16 at the National Center.
Our Fellows will have a unique opportunity to learn more about our
organization's history and expand their leadership skills that will prove
beneficial to the longevity of our local chapters and state divisions.

That following weekend, June 17, I look forward to meeting with the
Peninsula and Tidewater Chapters. No doubt the occasion will be an excellent
time for fellowship and provide a great exchange of information to help
further grow the affiliate.

Of course, we are all looking forward to the National Convention in Orlando
from July 10 through July 16. If you are a first time guest at the
convention, please do take advantage of the activities set up for convention
rookies to get the most out of what the event has to offer.

As you know, we are very interested in working hard to empower blind
children and youth. Later this summer we will be gearing up for two Braille
Enrichment for Literacy & Learning (BELL) Academies, scheduled to start July
31. Also, as mentioned at the May Board of Directors meeting, we are working
on establishing a new program for transition (14-22) age students to teach
self-advocacy, career readiness, independent living and other career skills.

Finally, we are reintroducing an affiliate newsletter to make you aware of
exciting events around the commonwealth. This newsletter is for your
benefit. If you have ideas for future issues, I invite you to share them
with us so that we can make this a valuable publication for all.

Yours in service,

Tracy Soforenko, President

A Word From the Editor

My aim in leading this publication is to provide everyone a succinct recap
of activities that affect our membership in Virginia. Hopefully the
information will be brief, useful, and not repetitive. In coming months it
might be worth posting the newsletter to our website with fancier headers
and hyperlinks. For now, I thought it best to get the news out, less talking
and more doing and whatnot. If your chapter or division has an announcement
it would like included in future issues, please note we will aim to publish
the newsletter on the first Monday of the month. It would be ideal if you
could submit your announcement no later than the last day of the preceding
month to ensure your information is included. Questions? Concerns?
Contributions? Please send them to:

jsorozco at gmail.com <mailto:jsorozco at gmail.com>

Respectfully,

Joe Orozco

This Month's Inspiration

The following excerpt is from the Braille Monitor January/February 2002 and
was written by Carlos Servan, then president of the NFB of Nebraska
affiliate:

"However, throughout this time I always remembered that "Freedom cannot be
given; it must be taken." As you can see, we can determine our own future. I
am a Federationist because of who I am and what I have accomplished. I
started out with little or no expectations and absolutely no self-esteem and
became aggressively determined and assertive. I completed my bachelor's
degree, my master's in administration, and a law degree within seven years
and graduated with distinction and honors. In addition, while attending
school, I also worked for the Center for the Blind and was active in my
community and my family. We of the NFB are seeking complete integration of
the blind into society, and in order for us to accomplish this objective,
the general public must become aware of the capabilities of the blind."

To read the article, Why I am a Federationist, in its entirety, visit:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm02/bm0201/bm020114.htm

Coming Events

The Potomac Chapter, NFBV Spring Auction

When: Saturday, June 10; 2:30 PM - 6:30 PM

Where: Turnberry Towers Party Room, 1881 N. Nash Street, Arlington, Virginia

convinces us that we really need each auction item - and, of course, someone
in the room always has to have it. Even if shopping isn't your thing, with
your $25 admission payable at the door, you will still enjoy yourself at the
auction. There will be much fellowship, laughter, and Oh yes, the food! Back
by popular demand is Rob Latson's Catering Company. Reservations will be
accepted until Thursday evening, June 8.

For additional details, contact:

Sarah Blumberg, Social Chair

Email: sarahblumb at gmail.com <mailto:sarahblumb at gmail.com>

Phone: 202-427-4814

The NFB of DC & The NFB of MD National Harbor Chapter's Crab Feast

When: Saturday, June 24; 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Where: Bladensburg Waterfront Park, 4601 Annapolis Rd., Bladensburg, MD

neighboring affiliates. There will be door prizes and a 50/50 raffle. The
cost is $50.00 and gets you crabs, fried fish, fried chicken, barbeque
chicken, potato salad, corn, baked beans & salad. Music by DJ Double M.

For additional details, contact:

Shawn Callaway, NFB DC President

Email: callaway.shawn at gmail.com <mailto:callaway.shawn at gmail.com>

Phone: 202-352-1511

NFB of Virginia Exhibit Table at the NFB National Convention

When: Tuesday, July 11 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Wednesday, July 12 8:30 AM - 5:00
PM; Thursday, July 13 12:00 PM - 1:45 PM and 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM; and Friday,
July 14 12:00 PM - 1:45 PM. Set up will be on Monday, July 10 from 12:00 PM
to 4:30 PM, and the tear down will take place on Friday, July 14 from 6:00
PM to 8:00 PM.

Where: Exhibit Hall (check agenda for location)

federation family from around the country and surrounding areas, you are
kindly reminded that the Virginia table will be operating in the exhibit
hall. Everyone attending the convention is encouraged to sign up to work a
two-hour shift at this year's Virginia table, home of our Federation-famous
Virginia peanuts. Please email your name, dates and times of availability,
and contact phone number below.

For additional information, contact:

Robert Parsons, Coordinator

Email: rob.parso3389 at gmail.com <mailto:rob.parso3389 at gmail.com>

Phone: 804-200-3275

Virginia Caucus at the NFB National Convention

When: Tuesday, June 11; 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Where: Wekiwa 6 in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel

finalists as well as our National Scholarship finalist. Participate in our
banquet exchange. Learn about the happenings across our various affiliate
programs and enjoy fellowship with other Virginians and guests from across
the country.

For additional details, contact:

Tracy Soforenko, NFB of Virginia President

Email: tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>

Phone: 202-285-4595

Other Items of Interest

The following items may be of interest to blind Virginians, but our
inclusion of these announcements do not constitute endorsement.

Update to NVDA

NVDA 2017.2 brings full support for audio ducking in the Windows 10 Creators
Update; fixes for several selection issues in browse mode, including
problems with select all; significant improvements in Microsoft Edge
support; and improvements on the web such as indication of elements marked
as current (using aria-current).

Read more:

http://bit.ly/2rGuhue

Accessible Environmental Information Application Survey

Sendero seeks input to a survey that will supposedly contribute to the
design of a user friendly and effective indoor wayfinding application.
Responders can enter for a chance to receive a non-subscription license for
Seeing Eye GPS. This study is part of a two-year project in which Sendero
and partners are attempting to develop an indoor wayfinding application.
The project, entitled, an Accessible Environmental Information Application
for Individuals with Visual Impairments, is funded by a federal grant from
the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation
Research (NIDILRR).

Read more:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IndoorNav

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com>