[Nfbv-announce] Fairfax Chapter "Bridges the Gap" in vision loss education

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 21:27:44 UTC 2017

At our June 15, 2017 meeting, our guest speaker was Dr. Suleiman            Alibhain who is very well known in our community. Dr. Alibhain runs a local low vision clinic which assists those with vision loss to find the tools to enable them to achieve their goals.

Dr. Alibhain spoke about "Bridging the Gap" between those who are sighted and those with vision loss. He said that there is a lot of misunderstanding on both sides and the outcome leads to confusion and disappointment.

Dr. Alibhain reminded the several representatives of low vision organizations who were there for his presentation, that information is the best weapon against ignorance and that we all play a role in making the transition from full sight to low vision as easy and empowering as possible.

We wish to thank Dr. Alibhain for taking the time to come and speak to us. Here is a link to a short video of Dr. Alibhain talking about some of the points he wanted to make during the evening.
https://youtu.be/sPLsPCEkFjk

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia meets the third-Thursday of every month. For information about meeting locations, contact John Bailey at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com<mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com>