[Nfbv-announce] How do blind people grill hotdogs? A video tutorial

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 18 17:12:00 UTC 2017

To see the video, click the link below.
https://youtu.be/QiQ7OmG05tI

Cooking outdoors on a grill is just like cooking indoors for the blind. Unfortunately, too many people think that lack of vision must keep you from life's activities like cooking. But, that isn't true and I will show you how.

Grilling outdoors on a gas grill is actually very easy if you follow a few safety tips that are really easy and worth learning. In this video, I will demonstrate those safety techniques showing just how much fun being independent can be. The only supplies I will need today are a gas grill, tongs, hotdogs, and a rounded bowl to bring the cooked food back to the dining table.

One of the first things you must remember that will save you a lot of pain and a trip to the emergency room is to use your tongs as an extension of your hand. For example, use the tongs to find the handle of the grill in order to open and close it. Use your tongs to 'feel around' the grill top to find the food you are cooking. And, finally, use your tongs to move the food from the grill top to a plate. If the only contact between the grill and you are the tongs, you are set to have a great time cooking outdoors.

Liked the tutorial? Please share it with your friends.

The Fairfax Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia meets the third-Thursday of every month. For info on our next meeting's time and location, contact John Bailey at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com<mailto:john_bailey17 at hotmail.com>