[Nfbv-announce] The Vigilant, November 2017

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 17:43:26 UTC 2017

Dear all,

The November Vigilant is here!

The plain text version is below. To read the newsletter in HTML format,
please visit:

http://www.nfbv.org/vigilant-november-2017/

Joe Orozco, Editor

>From the President's Desk

Where does one begin to thank everyone responsible for making this year's
state convention a memorable occasion? It takes a lot of attention to
detail, patience, and follow through, and when there are so many competing
priorities, we are incredibly grateful to our fellow Federationists when
they can rank the work of the organization high on that list. Thank you to
everyone who played a role in making the 2017 convention the success we
experienced.

If you were unable to join us, please know you were missed. Conventions, or
any activity for that matter, is not the same without you, and although we
hope to see plenty of you well before then, we do sincerely hope you will be
able to join us next November 8-11 in Fredericksburg for a very special 60th
anniversary.

If this year's convention emphasized anything, it is that the work of the
Federation is alive and well in our commonwealth. There is more yet to be
accomplished, and we are counting on you to help us meet that mission. Our
next affiliate gathering will be Monday, January 15 for our winter board
meeting and Richmond Seminar. You can read more about this later in this
issue, but please remember there is much to be accomplished at a local
level. Please help us bring more people into the fold.

As we prepare for the holiday season, we want to remind you to please travel
safely. Please make friends and family a priority. Please take a step back
and remember those things in life that truly matter. Be kind to yourselves
and each other.

Yours in Federation service,

Tracy Soforenko, President

---

This Month's Inspiration

This month's inspiration is not a quotation as much as a full letter
recognizing the remarkable contributions of one of our own affiliate
members. We draw this excerpt from a longer piece from the October Braille
Monitor, which you can read here:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1709/bm170910.htm

The letter from HHS Secretary follows:

THE SECRETARY OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
 Washington, D.C. 20201

August 30, 2017

John Halverson, Ph.D.
 Senior Management and Program Analyst
 Office for Civil Rights
 Health Information Privacy Division
 Department of Health and Human Services
 Washington, DC 20201

Dear Dr. Halverson:

On behalf of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), I am
pleased to congratulate you on your retirement and to thank you for your
more than 38 years of dedicated service to HHS and to the public.

Since joining the HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in January 1979, you
have made significant contributions in all aspects of OCR's work. Your 24
years of  service in OCR's Headquarters and 14 years in leadership positions
in OCR's  Region VII office in Kansas City reflect your versatility and
willingness to  lend your talents where needed most in OCR's expanding
mission over four  decades in both civil rights and health information
privacy. Thank you for being a team player, for giving your all to the job,
and for your unselfish devotion to ensuring that others at OCR succeed as
well. Your professionalism  and your work ethic are admirable and served as
an inspiration throughout your  distinguished tenure at HHS.

On  a personal note, when I met you shortly after I arrived at HHS, I was
delighted  to find that we were in graduate school together while I was a
medical student  and you were pursuing a doctoral degree at the University
of Michigan in the  1970's. Since then, you have truly made your mark and
left a lasting legacy at  OCR and HHS, and I wish you all the best during
your retirement years.

Sincerely,

Thomas  E. Price, M.D.

---

Affiliate News

2017 Resolutions

The 2017 resolutions, three legislative and our traditional commendation,
provide a direction for our affiliate's efforts at Richmond seminar in
January, 2018. We chose this year to focus on three new legislative
initiatives in addition to our efforts already in progress: orientation and
mobility training
for blind children, the ability for a blind person to obtain an E-Z Pass,
and addressing concerns of blind merchants selling concessions at rest
areas.

The committee consisted of Jeremy Grandstaff, Sarah Patnaude, and myself. I
would like to thank both Sarah and Jeremy for their invaluable insights and
assistance with bringing these resolutions to the affiliate.

Respectfully,

Jennifer Shields, Resolutions Committee Chair

Resolution 2017-01: Regarding Orientation and Mobility training for blind
children

WHEREAS, skills in orientation and mobility (O&M) are essential for the
successful transition of blind children, including children with low vision,
to full and productive lives as adults; and

WHEREAS, local and state laws recognize the use of the long white cane as a
tool for both safety and independence for blind people, yet too many school
systems statewide do not promote the use of the white cane by blind
students; and

WHEREAS, regulations of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
(IDEA), Section 300.34[c][7], Related Services, clearly define O&M as
"services provided to blind or visually impaired children by qualified
personnel to enable those students to attain systematic orientation to and
safe movement within their environments in school, home, and community"; and

WHEREAS, although IDEA clearly lists O&M as an essential service for blind
and visually impaired children, children continue to be denied O&M
instruction because the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team assumes
that these children do not need this instruction; and

WHEREAS, another reason for denial of O&M instruction is insufficient
evaluations, e.g., only examining a child's movement in familiar areas,
failing to consider environments in different lighting, not requesting input
from parents, or not considering such factors as the child's medically
indicated expectation of further visual deterioration; and

WHEREAS, the IEP team should treat O&M instruction as a presumption for
youth who have an IEP based on visual impairment, as it does with Braille,
unless a proper assessment determines that O&M instruction is not necessary;
and

WHEREAS, two states, Maryland and Texas, have incorporated the mobility
presumption and stronger evaluation requirements into state law, ensuring
that more students who need O&M instruction in those states will receive it:

Now, therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia in Convention assembled this fifth day of November, 2017 in the
city of Falls Church, Virginia, that this organization strongly urge the
state of Virginia immediately to enact legislation that contains a
presumption similar to the Braille presumption, explicitly stating that all
blind and visually impaired children need orientation and mobility
instruction unless a proper evaluation demonstrates that such instruction is
not appropriate for the child.

Resolution 2017-02: Regarding the ability of blind Virginians to attain an
E-Z Pass

WHEREAS, High Occupancy Toll Lanes (HOT Lanes) on I95 between Springfield
and Stafford as well as HOT Lanes on a Virginia portion of the Washington DC
beltway and other toll roads in the Commonwealth of Virginia are designed to
maximize traffic flow by reducing congestion; and

WHEREAS, through the use of variable tolls, hot lane traffic should flow at
or near the speed limit, with the toll increasing to cause drivers unwilling
to pay to move to the regular lanes to reduce HOT Lane congestion; and

WHEREAS, automobiles with a driver and two passengers may take advantage of
the HOT lanes at no cost; and

WHEREAS, E-Z Pass transponders communicate information about HOT Lane use
between vehicles and the operators of the HOT Lanes including setting toll
prices and billing for HOT Lane use; and

WHEREAS, E-Z Pass transponders are tied to individual driver's licenses and
vehicle license plates; and

WHEREAS, persons who are blind or may have another disability which makes it
impossible for them to obtain a driver's license, need to travel on portions
of I95 and the Beltway where HOT lanes exist by hiring a driver, for
example, to travel from Northern Virginia to Richmond to attend a meeting or
conduct other business; and

WHEREAS, if hired drivers do not own a E-Z Pass, these passengers are unable
to take advantage of the travel option offered by the HOT Lanes, thus
reducing their travel options solely based upon their disability:

Now, therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia in convention assembled this fifth day of November, 2017, in the
city of Falls Church, Virginia, that the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia request that the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles change their
E-Z Pass requirements to allow persons who are blind or have another
disability which makes it impossible for them to obtain a driver's license
the ability to obtain and use an E-Z Pass.

Resolution 2017-03: Regarding the Commercialization of Interstate Rest Areas

WHEREAS, Congress, in 1936, enacted the Randolph-Sheppard Act to "provide
blind persons with remunerative employment," to "enlarge their economic
opportunities, and encourage their self-support through the operation of
vending facilities in federal buildings," and subsequent amendments to the
Randolph-Sheppard Act have further clarified Congress's intent and have
continued to expand economic opportunities for blind entrepreneurs; and

WHEREAS, in 1982 Congresswoman Barbara Kennelly of Connecticut recognized
the opportunity that existed for blind entrepreneurs at interstate rest
areas and subsequently introduced the "Kennelly Amendment" to the Surface
Transportation Act, which authorized state licensing agencies designated to
administer the Randolph-Sheppard Program the priority to operate vending
machines at interstate rest areas; and

WHEREAS, because of the passage of the "Kennelly Amendment," today, 20
percent of blind entrepreneurs who participate in the Randolph-Sheppard
Program operate vending machines at interstate rest areas nationwide; and

WHEREAS, the livelihood of these approximately four hundred blind
entrepreneurs is now being jeopardized by Congressional efforts which seek
to commercialize these interstate rest areas, most recently with the
introduction of H.R. 1990 in the 115th Congress by Congressman Jim Banks of
Indiana, which seeks to amend Title 23, United States Code, to allow food
concessions at state-owned interstate rest areas; and

WHEREAS, Congressman Thomas Garrett, representing Virginia's 5th
Congressional District, signed on as a co-sponsor of H.R. 1990 on April 28,
2017; and

WHEREAS, the result of commercialization of interstate rest areas would be
directly felt by blind entrepreneurs in the Commonwealth of Virginia, who
would then be forced to compete with well-established and well-recognized
franchises, essentially putting these blind entrepreneurs out of work almost
overnight:

Now, therefore, BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia assembled in convention this fifth day of November, 2017, in the
city of Falls Church, Virginia, that this organization urge that Congressman
Thomas Garrett withdraw his sponsorship of and support for H.R. 1990 and
move to rescind H.R. 1990 from consideration in the 115th Congress until the
concerns of the blind entrepreneurs who earn their living from vending
machines in our nation's interstate rest areas are adequately addressed.

Resolution 2017-04: Commending the Potomac Chapter leadership and membership
for a job well done.

Whereas, our National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) conventions
continue to grow and administration of the convention becomes more complex;
and

Whereas, our Potomac Chapter took on the opportunities and challenges of
hosting the 2017 (59th) state convention; and

Whereas, our 2017 state affiliate convention operated efficiently and
smoothly:

Now, therefore, Be it resolved in convention assembled this Fifth day of
November, 2017, in the city of Falls Church, Virginia, that we thank our
Potomac Chapter for a job well done!

---

Richmond Seminar 2018

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a powerful force
advocating for blind Virginians. Please join us for the Richmond Seminar on
January 15- 16, 2018 to ensure our voice is heard in the offices of the
General Assembly.

If you have never attended a Richmond Seminar, we strongly encourage you to
attend and participate in representative democracy in action. Everyone is
assigned to a team with an experienced leader. The General Assembly members
and their staff are very receptive and welcoming. They know we are
organized, articulate, and well versed in the subject matter.

We will put everyone on the team to work, sharing our issues and answering
the questions of legislators and their staff.

The issues we will bring to Richmond are still under consideration but will
most likely include:

*  Access to travel independently without a driver's license in autonomous
vehicles being developed in Virginia;
*  Blind Parents Bill of Rights;
*  Defending Virginia's Randolph Sheppard priority; and
*  Support for Virginia Department of the Blind and Vision Impaired (DVBI)
as a separate agency.

The final list of issues will be presented at the board meeting on Monday,
January 15.
We have bills being drafted that will need co-sponsors. Chapter Presidents
should make contact with their General Assembly members in their local
offices before the end of the year. If you need assistance in identifying
them, contact our Richmond Seminar Legislative committee Chair Derek Manners
at: Derek.Manners at allenovery.com, or on his cell at 903-271-6494.

A meeting with our elected legislators in their home districts will go a
long way in establishing the recognition that is needed for our visit to
Richmond. All Chapter members are encouraged to participate. If you intend
on doing a meeting or need help setting one up, please contact Derek
Manners.

Our board meeting is scheduled for Monday afternoon, January 15, which is
Martin Luther King Day. The Board Meeting will likely be held on the DBVI
campus on Azalea Avenue in Richmond, but details will be worked out shortly.

Our General Assembly visits will be Tuesday, January 16.
The affiliate will reimburse transportation expenses and hotel expenses.

Chapter presidents should arrange cost effective transportation for their
chapter members. Individuals are expected to share hotel rooms and must
obtain hotel reservations themselves at the NFB of Virginia rate. If you
need assistance identifying a room share, please contact Derek Manners.

Hotel rooms are available at the Delta Hotel (formerly the Crowned Plaza.)
The complete contact information is:

Delta Hotels by Marriott Richmond Downtown
555 East Canal Street
Richmond, VA 23219

The group rate is $129 plus applicable taxes. You may begin making
reservations at any time by calling the reservations line at 844-781-7397
and referencing NFBVA. Please note reservations must be made no later than
Thursday, January 4, 2018. Note guests will receive a $10 discount toward
parking.

If you run into any problems with making reservations or need assistance at
the hotel, please call our Operations Coordinator, Joe Orozco, at:
202-810-4023, or reach him via email at: jsorozco at gmail.com.

Do not delay, book your room today.

Chapter presidents must provide an initial list of the names of the
individuals planning to attend from their chapter to Derek by Friday,
January 5, 2018 and additional names as they are known so we can establish
and update teams in advance.

Finally, if anyone in your chapter is interested in being a team leader,
have them reach out to Derek Manners directly.  If you have any questions,
please contact Derek Manners at Derek.Manners at allenovery.com or on his cell
at 903-271-6494.

---

What Did You Think of Convention?

Did your feelings toward this year's state convention lean more toward the
super, wow, excellent, and fantastic? Or were you more inclined to feel
disappointed? Now's your time to share your thoughts! Visit:

http://www.nfbv.org/convention-survey

It's quick and anonymous, and your input will directly give next year in
Fredericksburg the kind of direction we need to make it memorable.

Complete the survey before Sunday, November 26 to make your opinion count!

---

Introducing a New Leader

On Sunday, November 5 the affiliate unanimously voted Sarah Patnaude as
corresponding secretary. She will complete the term previously held by Chris
Walker.

Sarah graduated from Ferrum College in 2016 with her Bachelor's degree in
Criminal Justice. She is currently a student at George Mason University,
pursuing her Master's in Social Work. Her passion for advocacy stems from
her involvement in the Federation.

Sarah was introduced to the National Federation of the Blind in 2010 when
she was a student in a summer program at the Virginia Rehabilitation Center
for the Blind and Vision Impaired. Since her first state convention, Sarah
has served on the board of the Virginia Association of Blind Students and on
a few affiliate committees. In 2014, she had the privilege of immersing
herself in the Federation's philosophy and programs by working as an intern
at the Jernigan Institute in Baltimore.

One of Sarah's hobbies is cosplaying, where she enjoys dressing up as
different characters from TV shows, movies, and books. Not having any prior
experience with sewing or patterning, she taught herself how to design and
create costumes. Since her first comicon in 2014, Sarah has won two first
place trophies, including her most recent costume as the Evil Queen.

We extend a warm welcome to Sarah to the board and look forward to her
contributions in helping to shape message points for the affiliate.

---

Other Items of Interest

The following items are just a couple highlights from the most recent state
convention.

"Attending the 2017 NFB Youth Slam"<br>
by Michael Munn

At this year's NFB of Virginia State Convention held in Northern Virginia, A
young man named Michael Munn spoke before the convention about his
experience
at the 2017 Youth Slam. Michael was able to study science and make lots of
new friends. But, let Michael tell you all about it.

It was the summer of 2017 and, those six days I will never forget. During
the week of July 23 through the 29th, 2017 I participated in an outrageous
program
located at Towson University in Maryland. It was outrageous because the
world thinks blind people aren't supposed to be good at engineering, math,
or even
science. But, the NFB showed everyone during this program we could do
anything we want. It was called the 2017 NFB Youth Slam and that is what I
am going
to talk about today.

The NFB Youth Slam was open to all blind High School Students from all over
the United States to participate.

One aspect I really liked was that During this summer's program, everything
took place in an actual college Campus. This is great because those of you
who wish to attend college someday can get to experience an actual college
up close for yourself.

One thing I really liked about the Youth Slam was the independence to choose
what I wanted to learn. And, most importantly, what I wanted to do during
my free time for Social recreation.

I got a lot of value from glimpsing what college life is going to look like
when I do choose to attend.

I made lots of friends during Youth Slam. There was one new friend that I
particularly remember. Her name is Maura and she traveled from Nebraska to
attend
the Slam. She (like me) likes music and plays a musical instrument. We had
the best time talking about instruments from all over the world.

Part of the Youth Slam is STEM. STEM stands for Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Math and I had a chance to experience them all.

I have attended several STEM programs in the past. And, the 2017 program was
by far the best.

A 'Track' is a term use to describe a group of students and their mentors
who are following a particular course of study.

I chose Lego physics for my Track because I really had no idea how Legos
could have anything to do with physics. And, I wanted to know the answer.

I was also curious about the computer science track. But Lego physics won
out because it sounded more interesting. And, I love playing with Legos!

During my Lego physics track, I learned how to build a car that could slide
down a Zipline. And I also learned that the heavier the Lego car is on the
bottom, the more balanced it will be on the zipline.

There is more to the Youth Slam then just tracks. There are also enrichment
sessions. Enrichment sessions are The 3 to 4 hours each afternoon after each
track that is used studying various STEM and blindness topics.

I got to meet lots of mentors from different states and countries. I learned
lots of stuff from them.

I talked to the mentors on topics relating to blindness like Screen Readers
that they prefer. We also talked about their schools.

Another new friend I met was from Clemson University; Neel told me that
while he was traveling in India, people thought his Cane was a flute. that
was
the funniest thing I've ever heard.

On the Friday of that week, Students from different Tracks showed what they
had learned. I learned some advance Lego building skills, How to design a
board
game, How to use a pie pan to transfer liquids, and some basics about
Archeology.
What I liked the best during my time at the 2017 Youth Slam was meeting cool
blind people, and making friends. This program is the best program for those
High school Students wanting to learn about science and how they can do
anything they want.

My name is Michael Munn and come see me to learn more about the Youth Slam.

Tips for being prepared when disaster strikes

At this  year's NFB Virginia state convention, we had a panel discussion
featuring 3 experts on the topic of how to be prepared when disaster strikes
and how to survive.

One of those speakers was Courtney Arroyo, MPA who is Outreach and
Disabilities Integration Liaison  from the Fairfax County Office of
Emergency Management.

Mrs. Arroyo gave us some very simple tips on how to better survive natural
disasters and she has passed that info along to us again in the text below.

Below are those tips.

Take steps to prepare yourself and your family members for disasters and
emergencies.

1.            Be informed about emergencies that could affect your area.
Sign up for emergency alerts through your local government. Monitor the news
and weather on a regular basis.  Keep a National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio in your home so you can continue to be
informed in case the power goes out.

2.            Make a plan about where to go and how you will communicate
with your family in an emergency. Create a support network to help you
overcome your day-day needs in times of emergencies. If you use assistive
technologies, plan how you will evacuate with the devices or how you will
replace equipment if lost or destroyed. Your plan should include special
instructions for operating your equipment if needed. If you use a white cane
be sure to let others know its location.

3.            Build a kit Consider putting items into a go bag in case you
need to leave quickly. In addition to having your basic survival supplies,
an emergency kit should contain items to meet your individual needs,
including important documentation. If you take any medication, be sure to
include at least 7 days' worth of medication in your go-bag. If you have a
pet, make sure they have a collar with an ID tag and add pet food, extra
water, medical records and other supplies that your animal may need.

4.            Take action and help others prepare in your community. Talk
about being prepared with your family and friends. Encourage them to prepare
today!

For individuals who are vision impaired or have low vision:

*             Mark emergency supplies with Braille labels or large print.
Keep a list of your emergency supplies, and where you bought it, on a
portable flash drive, or make an audio file that is kept in a safe place
where you can access it.

*             Keep a Braille, or Deaf-Blind communications device as part of
your emergency supply kit.
To learn more, visit READY.GOV/MYPLAN and connect with your local emergency
management office.

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate     actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality,     opportunity, and security
for the blind;
to support the policies and programs     of the Federation; and to abide by
its constitution.