[Nfbv-announce] Urgent Request - Email Your Delegate this evening - Bank Web Site Accessibility

Tracy Soforenko tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:50:39 UTC 2019

Hi Virginia Federationists,

Our advocacy efforts continue to pay off but we need some additional effort.

We need your help with a few emails tonight to members of the Virginia
House of Delegates. Earlier this afternoon, the Virginia Senate passed a
revised version of HB2296 which simply includes web accessibility standards
and doesn’t include any of the earlier provisions that reduced protections
on accessibility.

We are asking members of the House of Delegates to accept the Senate
Compromise version of HB 2296 when it comes to a vote on Tuesday afternoon.

A sample email is provided below.  Please use the sample, make it specific
to you, and send it to your Delegate and perhaps a few other Delegates this
evening.

*Background:*

When HB2296 was in the House of Delegates, the entire disability community
opposed this legislation which weakened protections that guarantee bank web

site accessibility.

On Tuesday, February 5, the Virginia House of Delegates passed HB2296 which
significantly weakens protections to ensure banking web sites are
accessible.

Based on our efforts to communicate our concerns, on Wednesday the Senate
Courts of Justice Committee re-wrote HB 2296 and made it acceptable. The new

Senate bill simply states that a web site that conforms to the WC3AG Web
Accessibility Standards will be deemed accessible. While not great, we do
not

oppose this legislation. we can support the compromise which just passed
the full Senate today (2/18).

The Senate bill is still called HB 2296 which I will admit is somewhat
confusing.

Our request of each of you:

We need you to email your Delegate tonight (2/18)

Ideally, also email 2-3 other Delegates.

I have attached a list of the names of each Delegate and their email
address. If you really prefer to call, you will need to call by Tuesday
(2/19) at 10:00 AM because the House of Delegates goes into session at
11:00 AM on Tuesday.

We are convinced that email is better for this request, but it needs to
happen tonight.

                Please email your delegate to let them know that you want
them to support the Senate compromise.

Tell them to oppose the bill if additional language is added that is
harmful to the disability community.

It is vital to email this evening.  We believe this bill will be voted on
in the House on Tuesday afternoon.

contact your Delegate to let her or him know your feelings on this bill.
In your email or phone call let the Senator know that you are a constituent
and

provide your address.

If you are not aware of the name of your Delegate, Here is an accessible
website where you are able to easily obtain the name by simply typing your
address.

https://www.richmondsunlight. com/yourlegislatures

Either click on this URL or copy it into your web browser.

If you are willing, send separate individual emails to other members of the
House of Delegates.

We are grateful for your efforts and need you to take action this evening
to address this legislation before the Tuesday House of Delegates vote.
Yes, the Virginia General Assembly works this fast.

Here is some good language you may wish to use.  I suggest some slight word
changes, so we do not all sound the same.  Note that you can send the same
language

to each contacted member, as they will not share emails.  Below is the
language. Please remember to include your Name and address at the bottom of
your message and mention that you are a constituent, if appropriate.

*Sample email:*

Subject: Hold to the Compromise on HB 2296

Dear Delegate

The disability community has strongly and uniformly opposed HB 2296.  The
Senate substitute compromise, containing accessibility standards only, is an

acceptable compromise.  We oppose any attempts to reinstate other portions
of the House bill.

I am asking you to support the Senate Compromise language which will be
before the House of Delegates on Tuesday, February 19.

Sincerely,