[Nfbv-announce] Update on the bank website accessibility legislation

Sarah Patnaude patnaude.sarah at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 13:02:09 UTC 2019

Hi Fellow Federationists

The Virginia legislation intended to weaken protections under the Virginians with disabilities act,SB1302 /  HB 2296 Will be heard in committees this week.
Last week, I was in Richmond all day on Wednesday because the bills were scheduled for both the Senate and House committee‘s.
After a long day of listening to other bills and showing solidarity with other disability advocates, the bills were deferred to committees this week.
Because the Virginia General assembly runs on such a quick schedule, our goal is to do it continue to push this legislation to be deferred until after session.
We have met with the Virginia credit union association and are seeking to define common ground after the session has been completed.
They want their bill and are continuing to work to amend the legislation. The house will review the bill on Monday in the house court of justice subcommittee for.
The Senate will review the bill in the Senate course of justice committee on Wednesday
Derek has agreed to attend the meeting on Monday. Mark has agreed to attend the meeting on Wednesday.
We are grateful for their efforts to represent us while many of our usual advocates are juggling responsibilities for Washington seminar. Your efforts to advocate in Richmond last week are recognized by the General assembly and thank you

Tracy Soforenko
Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
202-285-4595