[NFBV-Announce] Convention Operation Notes

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 00:06:25 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Here are some pertinent details for the upcoming convention. Please read in
its entirety to minimize confusion in Portsmouth.

Climate Control

That is to say, we don't have any. As much as I would love to promise we'll
take a Goldie Locks approach to your comfort in the various ballrooms,
please kindly bring warm clothing for the inevitable times when you might
get chilly.

Dietary Functions

The deadline to express your dietary wish is this coming Friday, October 25
at 5 PM. Please send all box lunch and banquet requests to Sandy Halverson
via email: sjh300 at outlook.com <mailto:sjh300 at outlook.com> .

Meal Tickets

At registration you will receive tickets for the hospitality event on Friday
evening, box lunches, and banquet. Please work extra hard at not losing
these tickets, especially the meal tickets. If they are lost, you will need
to purchase new ones. I have been vocal about my dislike of this system, but
since I have not been vocal about coming up with a better alternative, I too
will have to make sure I do not lose my tickets. No exceptions. For banquet
in particular, absolutely every person in that room must have a ticket to
help us with accounting after the convention. If you have a question about
who may already be covered, ask now, not at the banquet.

Restaurant Menus

The host chapters are kindly having the hotel restaurant menus embossed. For
your convenience, I've also posted downloadable menus on the convention
landing page <http://nfbv.org/convention>  under the Meal Functions section.
There are different files for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Check Out on Sunday

Regular checkout from the hotel is 11 AM. This property normally charges for
late checkout and for luggage storage. I've gotten them to waive the luggage
storage fees, but please, before coming down for General Session at 9 AM,
drop your things off at the front desk. Let's do our best to avoid the
craziness we experienced last year.

Hospitality Suite

This year the Commodore Room will serve as our hospitality suite throughout
the weekend. Several groups will be utilizing the Commodore Room. Please
kindly build cleanup into your time slot and task someone from within your
own group to oversee the cleanup process so that we may easily transition
from one function to the next. Though we are doing our best to provide
coolers, please plan on there being no refrigeration for your food and
beverages. There will be two large trash cans for disposal. Jacki Bruce is
my designated traffic cop and general hospitality coordinator. Whatever she
says is right.

Alcohol Consumption in Hospitality Suite

Groups may provide alcohol in the Commodore Suite, as appropriate; however,
it is up to you to ensure no alcohol is served to minors, under no
circumstance, for any reason.

Convention Agenda

The convention agenda can now be downloaded from, or viewed on, the
affiliate website. Please visit the convention landing page
<http://nfbv.org/convention>  for details. Note that the online version
features links to certain speakers and their companies as a means of making
the agenda a little more interactive. This is just a little experimentation
on my part to help you more easily connect with speakers in the program.

Connecting with Me

If you need me for convention-related questions or concerns throughout the
weekend, you can reach me at: 202-810-4023. Issues with your guest room
should be taken directly to the hotel.

If I haven't covered something here, do feel free to reply to this message
and let me know.

It's going to be a great convention. Our president has worked hard on making
this an exceptional program. I myself am very excited to see you there, and
if we've never met, please make a point to stop me and shake hands.
Preparing for this thing is always so much more worth it when I can
associate the convention with individual guests.

Joe Orozco, Convention Operations