[NFBV-Announce] Reminder: Financial Education Seminar

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 01:16:14 UTC 2019

Dear all,

How comfortable do you feel with your financial management? If you had to
take an honest assessment of your spending habits, how confident would you
feel about surviving an unexpected emergency? And with so many people now
living longer beyond retirement, how secure do you feel about your finances
in your golden years? As a blind person, are you accessing the best tools to
help you manage your money?

Join me Friday at 2 PM in Portsmouth 5 as we kick off a financial education
initiative to help us all become more financially savvy.

The FBI is crashing our party! And they're going to clue us into the latest
trends in financial scams that are eagerly targeting you...

Also: "A couple of years ago, University of Chicago professor
<http://www.samefacts.com/2013/04/everything-else/talking-personal-finance-w
ith-helaine-olen-parts-1-and-2/> Harold Pollack did an online video chat
with personal finance writer Helaine Olen. The topic was how regular people
get steered into bad investments by financial advisers. Pollack said that
the best personal finance advice "can fit on a 3-by-5 index card, and is
available for free in the library - so if you're paying someone for advice,
almost by definition, you're probably getting the wrong advice, because the
correct advice is so straightforward."

"After they posted the video, the emails started pouring in - people wanted
to know, where could they get this index card? What was this fantastic yet
simple advice for managing their money?

"Since I was speaking metaphorically, I was kind of stuck," Pollack says.
"But I just took one of my daughter's index cards and I scribbled a bunch of
principles, and
<http://www.samefacts.com/2013/04/everything-else/advice-to-alex-m/> I took
a picture with my iPhone and I posted it on the Web."

"The index card got into Google's news results.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/09/16/this-4x6-index-card-
has-all-the-financial-advice-youll-ever-need/> It got into big newspapers.
Famous economists tweeted about it. Self-help sites like Lifehacker
mentioned it.

"In short, it went viral..." And on Friday afternoon, Sharon Soforenko will
guide you through these key principles that could dramatically change your
financial position.

And while we're being honest with ourselves, how good of a job are you doing
at tracking your money? Mark Roane claims he has a strategy that will easily
help you plan, organize, and follow a faithful budget, and best of all, it
doesn't even require a fancy mobile app. It's a flexible strategy you will
be able to start Friday if you so desire. And Mark being our long standing
money guy in the affiliate, he probably knows a thing or two about balancing
checkbooks.

Is the point to pass up every opportunity to enjoy coffee, dinner out, or
entertainment? On the contrary, it's about being financially responsible so
that you can treat yourself without feeling guilty. Our interactive
panelists later in the agenda will get into real world examples of how they
manage their money and the mistakes they learned from along the way to get
to where they are now.

Listen, no one is going to sell you any products or services. No one is
going to tell you their method is the only way to get good at managing
money. Most of it will come down to you, your circumstances, and what makes
sense in your situation.

And, if you believe this seminar really isn't for you ... well, why did you
read this far? I think you know you're curious to see what else you might be
missing in your toolbox.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Joe