[NFBV-Announce] VRCBVI Virtual Trainings - through July 2, 2020 w/ registration link

Melody Roane melody.roane at dbvi.virginia.gov
Thu Jun 11 17:10:37 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

VRCBVI thanks you for your participation in and help in distributing
information about the VRCBVI virtual trainings.  Beginning July 3, we will
be taking a hiatus from the virtual trainings to focus on the 2020 LIFE
Program and the Steps To Success Program.  Please share the below
information with your networks.

Thanks.

*VRCBVI is pleased to offer additional virtual training opportunities
through July 2!  Please check out our schedule of upcoming events and use
the link at the bottom of this email to register.  All trainings continue
to be open to all and free of charge. We will use Zoom as our virtual
platform to conduct these trainings and all events begin at 2:00 pm
(although sessions vary in duration). If you have any questions, please
contact Greg Chittum at greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov
<greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov> or 804-371-3204.*

*VRCBVI Virtual Trainings - through July 2, 2020*

*Virtual Conversations About Blindness Series *

*June 17* - *I Am She: How To Respond Positively In Awkward Social Moments
involving Blindness* - 2 hours

Have you ever experienced these or similar scenarios:  You are in a
restaurant with family.  The server comes to the table to take orders and
says to the person you are with, “What does he want”?  Or, you go to a
historic site and sign up for a tour, and the lady behind the counter
expresses to your friend her concern about whether you can climb stairs as
though you are not in the room.  We invite you to come to this session with
questions or your own stories of how you handled similar situations.
Others may learn from your simple and practical strategies which may lead
to positive interactions.
Presenters:  Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director, Becky Keller, Lead Orientation
and Mobility Instructor at VRCBVI, Domonique Lawless, VRCBVI Orientation
and Mobility Instructor, Jimmy Morris, Orientation and Mobility Instructor
with the DBVI Richmond Regional Office

*June 24* - *What Does It Mean To Accept One’s Blindness?* – 2 hours

“Acceptance is the first step to freedom.” Join us as we hear from three
panelists who will share powerful stories of how they became blind during
various stages of life and took steps to “live the lives they imagined.”

Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*July 1* - *Choosing the Time and Place to Gain Your Independence *– 2
hours

In this session, we will hear from individuals who chose to attend
blindness skills training at different stages of life and how their choices
helped open the doors to new opportunities.

Presenter: Domonique Lawless, VRCBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor

*VRCBVI Virtual Training Series*

*June 15* - *Mastering Medication Management at Any Age* – 1 hour 15
minutes
Join the VRCBVI Diabetes/ Health Educator for an interactive discussion on
independently managing your medications with low/no vision. Learn about
resources, technology and tips to help decrease medication errors.

Instructor: Kim Ladd, VRCBVI Health Educator

*June 16* – *Knowing When O&M Is Right for You* – 1 hour 30 minutes
Join us as we discuss the right time to start using a cane, explore options
for Orientation and Mobility, and learn how to advocate for yourself to get
the travel tools that fit your needs.

Instructor: Domonique Lawless, VRCBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor

*June 18 *- *Intro to Linux* – 1 hour 30 minutes - Villafane
What is Linux?  What is the command line?  Shouldn’t we all just be using
Windows or a Mac?  Is there anything else out there?  Is it even
accessible?  Learn what is accessible on Linux for a blind person.  Best of
all Linux is free!!!  A free screen reader and a free operating system?
What else do you want?  Add curiosity to patience and some creativity and
you can go far with Linux!
Instructor: Mike Villafane, VRCBVI Access Technology Instructor

*June 19* - *Organizing with Zing *– 1 hour
Do you find yourself wondering where your thumb drive is?  Later you find
it in a canister of sugar.  What about all of those mysterious items in
your freezer? This session will focus on using accessible labels and
organizational techniques for managing your kitchen and home.
Presenters: Michael Triplett and Dave Fuller, VRCBVI Personal and Health
Management Instructors

*June 22* - *Let's Talk Diabetes* – 1 hour 15 minutes
Join the VRCBVI Diabetes Educator for an interactive session to discuss
diabetes management tips and have your diabetes questions answered.

Instructor: Kim Ladd, VRCBVI Health Educator

*June 23* - *Demystifying the Mac *– 1 hour
Ever thought about using a Mac, but thought it was too intimidating. Come
learn how to use Voiceover to navigate the world of MacOS.
Instructor: Domonique Lawless, VRCBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor

*June 25* - *Moving to a New City *- 1 hour
This will be a discussion about the different questions to ask and
resources to use when moving to a new city.  We will be looking into the
information needed to make an informed decision when moving for work or
personal reasons.
Instructor: Sarah Morgan, VRCBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Cat Bacik, DBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor (Staunton Regional
Office)

*June 26* - *Pick Your Parachute: An Introduction to Job Hunting *- 1 hour
“What Color Is Your Parachute?” may sound like a silly question, but it’s
one you’ll want to answer, whether you’re hunting for a job, changing
careers, or looking for a new perspective on the work you do now. Join us
to find out more about the approach recommended by the most popular
job-hunting manual in the world.
Instructor: Joanne Wiggins, VRCBVI Adult Basic Education Instructor

*June 29* - *You Can Achieve Your Goals By Being SMART* – 1 hour 15 minutes
Learn how to develop achievable goals to find success in employment and
life.

Instructor: Kim Ladd, VRCBVI Health Educator

*June 30* – *Accessible Entertainment *–  1 hour 30 minutes
Are you tired of hearing a laugh track but never able to catch the joke?
Wondering what’s being demolished when the explosions occur? Join us in
this presentation to learn about the latest in accessible entertainment.
We’ll be demonstrating accessible devices and streaming services that
provide audio description.

Instructors: Mike Fish, VRCBVI Lead Access Technology Instructor and
Domonique Lawless, VRCBVI Orientation and Mobility Instructor

*July 2* - *iOS 3* – 1 hour
Customizing your device and editing your documents on the iPhone. In this
session, we will learn how to arrange apps, create folders, edit and spell
check documents and learn multiple ways to input text on your device.
Instructor: Mike Fish, VRCBVI Lead Access Technology Instructor

*REGISTER HERE!
<https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/VRCBVIVirtualTrainingstoJuly2.html>*

--

Melody L. Roane, Director

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, Virginia
Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA  23227

Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov

Phone: (804) 371-3323 | Fax: (804) 371-3092

Facebook: facebook.org/VDBVI <https://www.facebook.com/VDBVI>

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/VDBVI
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/virginia-department-for-the-blind-and-vision-impaired>

www.vrcbvi.org <http://www.vdbvi.org/>

*NOTICE:* This email (including any attachments) may include confidential
information. It is intended solely for the individuals or entities to which
it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, distribution or
use of it is prohibited. Please notify the sender and permanently delete it
from your email system. Also, given the nature of electronic mail and its
potential to carry computer viruses, the Department of the Blind and Vision
Impaired and the sender in no way warrant a virus free transmission. You
and your organization should use appropriate means to check this email and
any attachments for potential viruses and to prevent their execution.